RAID 5, not reliable anymore?

so the computer i recently built, i was going to run raid 5. i probably still will run it, but this article has me thinking.

it makes sense i guess, but at the same time, wouldnt you think it would just result in a corrupt file if that URE occurs during the rebuild?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162&tag=trunk;content

heres some interesting comments posted about the whole situation.

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5206-12694-0.htm...ag=col1;tbTools

discuss...

i want fault tolerance

with that in mind, i am thinking of running 4 of my 6 drives in raid 0+1, speed and fault tolerance, i can loose 2 drives (from the same set, not one from each array) and still able to rebuild.

but with that, out of 4 1tb drives i get 2tb of storage., plus the other 2 stand alone drives id have left over, so overall in raid 0+1 id have 4tb total space

with raid 5 id have have 5tb of storage.

idk which way i wanna go yet.

Edited by pimpedout97x

Guest DC Power Kyle

OR a raid 60 :)

I prefer 1+0 over 0+1

All in all, RAID 5 and RAID 6 are very very reliable.. I had them running in hardcore I/O for over a year for problems. Yes, raids can go wrong and can screw up.... just like anything can. It's a risk that you're gonna have to take. You can always make an off RAID backup as well.

so with that board 1+0 is still possible... i'd go that route it'd probably end up being pretty fast... what are you going to use all this space for? i get media in crazy amounts and i can't even fill my 2tb's... i delete a lot of shit though

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

Guest DC Power Kyle

Honestly dude, go with a RAID 5. We're not talking about millions of dollars worth of stuff. RAID it all in a 5, then get another drive to back it up if you're so skeptical. Raid 5 will slow down your I/O if you don't have a dedicated RAID cpu which is not built in to motherboard raid chipsets.

Either Raid 0 it with backups, RAID 5 with (N-1) space with a little bit of a slowdown, or RAID 0+1 it with 50% space.

I would go with a RAID 0 with nightly backups OR hell hourly backups.