Second Skin Audio

little help with box calculations

20" high, 40" wide, and 18.5" deep, with a port that's 4" high by 20" wide and 24" deep. this will yield 5.58 cubic feet of net volume, tuned to 34 hz. that's about 14 sq inches of port per cubic foot.

or if you wanted a lil less port area (to help the lows), you could do:

20" high, 40" wide, and 17.5" deep with a port that's 3.5" high by 20" wide and 20" deep. this will give you 5.49 cubic feet net, tuned to ~34.6 hz. with about 12.75 sq inches of port.

i dont get it

box volume- 30 x 24 x 17=12,240 cubic inch, 12,240/1728=7.0 cubic feet

port size - 20 x 3 x 18.15=1,089 cubic inch, 1,089/1728=0.6 cubic feet

-----------------

6.4 cubic feet

- sub displacement+wood displ

=5.5 cubic feet

for box volume, the internal dimensions are 28.5 x 22.5 x 15.5. that's effective net volume after wood displacement. based on you using .75" wood. this gets you 5.7 cubic feet.

now for the port, you have 3 x 20, but you need to account for wood also. so to figure actual port displacement, you need to do 21.5 * 3.75 * 19.65. (add in half of the port height for end correction) this gets you .92 cubic feet of displacement. and say ~ .2 for the sub. so now you have 5.7 - .9 - .2 which will get you ~4.6 cubic feet of net volume, not accounting for bracing

its .87cuft for port... u arent accounting for the wood... nor the end correction factor of using a slot port

5.75 after wood displ

-.22 for sub (guessed on displ)

-.87 for port

4.66cuft@~37hz

and u still arent accounting for bracing displacement... which is why i said 4.5@37hz+

for box volume, the internal dimensions are 28.5 x 22.5 x 15.5. that's effective net volume after wood displacement. based on you using .75" wood. this gets you 5.7 cubic feet.

now for the port, you have 3 x 20, but you need to account for wood also. so to figure actual port displacement, you need to do 21.5 * 3.75 * 19.65. (add in half of the port height for end correction) this gets you .92 cubic feet of displacement. and say ~ .2 for the sub. so now you have 5.7 - .9 - .2 which will get you ~4.6 cubic feet of net volume, not accounting for bracing

you can either believe two good box designers or follow ur math which is incorrect, lol

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

is this going into an SUV i assume? i usually like mine as wide as possible, but to keep the depth and height as large as possible to fit it as far as mounting depth go and all, i had to shrink down the width a tad. i got

20" high, 37" wide, and 19" deep. port is 3.5" high, 20" wide, and 20" long. this will get ya 5.45 cubic feet tuned to 34.75 hz. with about 12.6 sq inches of port per cubic foot. with some bracing accounted for.

you can either believe two good box designers or follow ur math which is incorrect, lol

i believe you, i'm just trying to figure it out, which now i get it.

right now it's going in suv, but i'm planning on getting another suv soon, so i'm trying to make the box fit this car and nest one i will get, so i'm trying to stay under 35" W and 20" D. height doesnt really matter.

so, if i will make box 6.1 C.F. which will give me 6.1-.9-.2=5 C.F. right?