fusing on multiple 1/0 runs

hi,

read the pinned thread on fusing but can't find one to answer what i have in mind.

let's say i have a system which pulls 1800amps total. i got 5 batts in the trunk and 1 batt up front all deep cycle ones. and a 300amp alternator.

now if i plan to run four 1/0awg cables to the back batteries, do i have to fuse near the main batt and again before the batts in the trunk or is it ok to fuse near the main batt only?

second question is, what fuse values will i put on each fuse holders on each run of 1/0 cable? tia.

When I hooked up my extra battery which was only 1, I put 1 fuse near the main start battery, and 1 fuse near the extra back battery, which is what you are suppose to do. If you are using 1/0 wire, use a 300Amp fuse. You only have to fuse the positive runs, not the negative runs. I am not positive if you have to fuse each positive run you use, but I am pretty sure you do. If you go to the section we're in right now "Electrical-battery- Alternators- Wiring", and look at the stickied thread "Wire/Fuse Guide" it'll tell you what Amp fuses to run on what size wire, hope that helps!

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

You're only planning on running 5 batts and a single alt on 1800amps of current?? If so that is gonna be your bigger issue at hand.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

You're only planning on running 5 batts and a single alt on 1800amps of current?? If so that is gonna be your bigger issue at hand.

oh, no,not at all. i'm just using it as a sample to discuss fusing *edit* on multiple runs *edit*. i wanted to understand fusing on multiple runs since i've seen some builds that has multiple runs without fusing. but let's assume everything in the electrical supply is adequate. like for example at 1400amps of current, and four runs of 1/0 is it ok to run 8 350amp fuses ( 1 350amp on each end per cable). i read that the main fuse rating should equal the total fuse rating of the equipment installed. but i don't quite understand when it comes to multiple runs of cable. tia. =)

When I hooked up my extra battery which was only 1, I put 1 fuse near the main start battery, and 1 fuse near the extra back battery, which is what you are suppose to do. If you are using 1/0 wire, use a 300Amp fuse. You only have to fuse the positive runs, not the negative runs. I am not positive if you have to fuse each positive run you use, but I am pretty sure you do. If you go to the section we're in right now "Electrical-battery- Alternators- Wiring", and look at the stickied thread "Wire/Fuse Guide" it'll tell you what Amp fuses to run on what size wire, hope that helps!

thanks,

that's the first topic i read before posting this thread since it didn't cover multiple runs of power cable. i've read that the main fuse value should equal the total fuse ratings of the equipment installed but also read that the main purpose of the fuse is to protect the cable/car/everything from catching fire in case of a short circuit. in my example, will a 350amp fuse on each run of power cable suffice or will it keep on blowing when the system is in its maximum current consumption?

i trying to understand fusing on multiple runs so thanks for the quick reply. =)

Archived