Second Skin Audio

Hatchback bass?

vj226966

Being my full size ext cab was totaled out this week,i bought a 1st gen RX7.I got the specs and i can fit my 15s in the hatch area.Question is do i face subs towards the front of car or can i aim them back facing the glass?I have friends back in the day face them up towards the glass,but i will be using every inch of space possible and that means they would be real close to the glass.Besides of being scared of breaking glass"i wish"would it affect sound being that close to the glass?I know how it sounds with subs facing the back,it gets nasty!What do you guys think?

Well, it all depends, if you face them towards the glass they will probably sound louder, but also after a while you might break something holding the glass, or maybe even crack the glass. If I was you, I would build 3 different boxes, 1 facing forward, 1 facing up, and 1 facing backwards, and see which one sounds better. Or build 1 box that you will be able to position in all different ways, I personally never had a system in a small car, only in an small extended cab ranger but it was only 2 L5 10s, and they sounded best facing backwards positioned a little bit up right at the back glass

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

^do what he said personally id face them upward at the glass but your latch will probably end up wearing a ridge in it

97 Honda Civic Sedan

Rear disc brake conversion

2" drop

17's

lots of exterior mods

SYSTEM

SoundStream VIR-5850 Dvd player

RE 6x9's and 6.5's

Soundstream DTR4.500

Soundstream DTR1.2200

8" RE-x in a t-line

Kinetik 1800

Plans

4-SA-8's

Another Kinetik

High output alt

My Cardomain

Well, it all depends, if you face them towards the glass they will probably sound louder, but also after a while you might break something holding the glass, or maybe even crack the glass. If I was you, I would build 3 different boxes, 1 facing forward, 1 facing up, and 1 facing backwards, and see which one sounds better. Or build 1 box that you will be able to position in all different ways, I personally never had a system in a small car, only in an small extended cab ranger but it was only 2 L5 10s, and they sounded best facing backwards positioned a little bit up right at the back glass

Well i think i could only go two ways with this.one facing the front and the other facing rear glass at a angle.The subs need at least 8.4 cubs,after bracing and displacment.I beleive i need 110 or so port area also.I am using almost every avalible inch of space for these subs.3 diff box builds would be costly.

Archived