Does your removeable storage have a virus?

believe it or not, there is a virus living on my friends external hard drive (didnt know at the time) but yesterday i had my ipod plugged in, and we plugged in his external drive, and they copied to my ipod root directory.

it doesnt copy to the computer from what im seeing/understand.

what it does, it makes a copy of any existing folders on the root directory, but they arent folders. if you put the folder view to "detail" itll show the type of file NOT as a folder, but an application. if you click this double click, thinking its a folder, itll THEN open on your PC.

i couldnt find ANY info on this, but i just found this article a guy wrote last month, so it must be either pretty new, or no one has figured it out yet. avast is the only thing that caught it so far, and i only scanned with that becuase i foudn this article and this guy used avast.

these files are also on my 8gb micro sd card, becuase a few weeks ago my friends flash drive was plugged in, and also has those files on it, and they then copied to my sd. so it seems to only copy themselves to removable/plug and play devices. when i now plug in my ipod, itll pop up and say to use this device you must restart. when you restart, itll then run the autorun.inf file, infecting ur pc. idk what it will do, i may try it out on an old laptop just to see.

anyways, i seemed to have removed the virus off of my ipod, but it still is infected in the autorun file, so im letting avast scan all the music ive got on it, and then im gonna copy it to my computer if it isnt infected, then format my ipod, if itll let me. my SD card will not let me format in windows, linux, anything. idk if it permenantly damaged it or what...but i couldnt figure it out, and i had no clue why there was random folders on my SD card 3 weeks ago, but now i know its a worm/virus (didnt even THINK that could have been what messed up my SD card)....

heres the article. interesting...fuckers...id like to snap the neck of whoever wrote this virus.

http://www.mapability.com/blogs/travel/200...b-flash-dr.html

i have not, ill try it but i dont think itll work. windows xp, vista, 7, linux, my G1, or Gparted wont format it LOL.

its the autorun.inf file that is infected, and ive been reading up on it now while at work, and i found a command that allows you to delete the autorun.inf. if i can delete this off the SD card, then maybe itll allow me to format it.

i have not, ill try it but i dont think itll work. windows xp, vista, 7, linux, my G1, or Gparted wont format it LOL.

its the autorun.inf file that is infected, and ive been reading up on it now while at work, and i found a command that allows you to delete the autorun.inf. if i can delete this off the SD card, then maybe itll allow me to format it.

A camera *SHOULD NOT* read the autorun.inf since, you guessed it, its not an os. Also check to see if there is a physical lock on it just for giggles, some do have this and theyre hard to tell sometimes when its engaged...

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

damn this is some foul sh!t... thanks for the heads up bro. i hate hackers...*well atleast the bad ones*..haha

808 All Day Baby.. Yes Im From Hawaii & No I Dont Live In a Grass Shack

1990 2 Door 4Runner

- Kenwood KDC-MP642U (changing out for a pioneer soon)

- Pioneer speakers up front w/ tweets (in progress)

- 18ft. of 0gauge, (3) 150 amp ANL Fuse

- Sundown Sae-1200D

- Stinger Blue Volt Meter

- Yellow top up front, Die hard in the rear ( i know i know!!! it willl be changed soon!!)

- 15 Fi Q

- 4 cube box tuned to 31hz

is it called AQUA player??? i had one that was on almost every external memory source i had. LINUX FTMFW with reformatting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped

A camera *SHOULD NOT* read the autorun.inf since, you guessed it, its not an os. Also check to see if there is a physical lock on it just for giggles, some do have this and theyre hard to tell sometimes when its engaged...

i dont believe there is, but ill check on my linux box when i get home from work in a few hrs.

if there is, how do you unlock it? i had that issue a couple months ago with something else and i forgot what i did.

also, the thing about the camera is true, but even though technically my phone has an OS (android) i tried formatting it from the recovery (aka command prompt) from my G1, before the phone even booted up, and still no go.

my phone uses Gparted when it formats through the phone, pretty much the same as linux, but not quite as many options when formating it through the phone.

Edited by pimpedout97x

also now, ive seemed to remove those folders from the root of my ipod, but when i open my computer, it says "cant find xxx.exE (yes its typed just like that, exE) try locating the file and trying again" or something like that, but if i right click and click explore, itll let me access the drive. so its deff something with the autorun file. ill copy all my music to my computer today and then reformat the ipod. i scanned about 70% of the music on it so far and no virus found yet with avast. so i dont think it infected any files, just the autorun, with the sole intention of trying to install itself on the PC when that autorun is ran.

damn this is that super virus from russia or some shit, it copies itself on to removable and external drives so when you put it into another computer it will give it to them and so on and so on.