Looking for New Head Unit

jedsajec

I am looking for information on what I should look for in a head unit.  I think I want to look for a dvd player without the screen, because I just cannot afford that.  My idea was to add a few screens as money permits, but do not know what features to look for or what extra costs I will be looking at, so any extra help would be great.  I have a 30gb ipod also, so that is something to think about too I guess.  I own a 2002 Impala that I had best buy install a kenwood deck in a while ago.  I planned on doing the install myself so other heads ups on what I will face there will be beneficial also.  My plan is to look at units around $500 retail and price match or find a good deal.  Older units and slightly used are also a consideration if they are excellent deals.  Thank You

Anything by Eclipse or Alpine would be real good.  They have aux-inputs for the Ipod also.

On the new Impalas, you have to relocate the radio because it houses part of the computer, controls door chimes and displays diagnostic messages.  Assuming Best Buy already did that though.  So just swap decks and harnesses and your good to do!

Oh, and you pretty much have to dismantle the entire dash just to get to the radio, it can be a major pain.

Well, here is what you have to do to gain access to the mounting screws for the kit...

672717_19_full.jpg

If I can still find the tech sheets I had for that car when I did one I'll send them your way.

You should just be able to remove the old deck, snip all the wires on the harness and resolder/crimp them to the new decks wiring harness. 

Archived