Second Skin Audio

Planning to build first box, what tools do I need?

Djmixmasterkid

What tools do I need for building a sub box? Its going to be for a 12" sub (built by ssackett) powered by a Sundown Saz 1500D, with a slot port.

I mostly already know what I need, but there is some that I don't.

Do I need a jigsaw & circular saw, or can I just use a circular saw for everything?

What kind of silicone, screws, bits, bracing, ect...would be best? ...how much wood?

Im a noob so help me out here. :pardon: I don't want to spend too much on tools either.

I want to do 45's for the corners and coat the inside with resin, but I might skip if its too much.

Alot of questions, I know, but will appreciate the help. :good: I don't wanna just hop into it and screw ship up.

How much should everything cost?

Hopefully I'll get a result like this:

I know if I ever find out you were messing with my 17yr old daughter, i'm diggin' off in that ass and then your next post will be asking for tips on how to remove my size 12 shoes from your ass.

Open Up The Trunk

Pioneer P6000Ub H.U.

Sundown Saz-1500D

Hifonics ZXi 4410

12" Directed SX12D4 (x2)

12" 1500rms Sub x1

Front - Powerbass 4XL-65-92 Mids

Rear - Cadence 6.5" Mids

Electrical Under Construction

Check Me Out(CarAudio Vids)

Official Feedback Thread

Check Out My Music Page

Unless you have a router for cutting the sub hole, you're going to need a jigsaw. A circular saw will be perfect for the straight edges, but you'll need something to cut out the round hole.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Sorry to double post. Computer's being silly today.

Anyway, you'll want to use .75" MDF. It's pretty much standard for box building. Some people use birch I believe, mainly because it's stronger and lighter, but it does cost a little bit more, and I don't think it's a necessity in your situation with just one 12". Use 2 layers on the face that the sub is on just to make sure it's solid. You should be fine without screws as long as you've got plenty of good wood glue in there, but don't be afraid to throw in a few if you think it's really necessary. If you do use screws, always pre-drill and stay away from the corners. MDF will split really easily if you drill right in the corner. You can use multiple things for bracing the box. Wooden dowels (rods), 2x4's, or even all-thread. You should be fine with just dowels, but once again if you really want a rock solid box feel free to use one of the other options. 45's in the corners can be done with MDF or resin. If you've never 'glassed before, the inside of the box is a great place to try it our for the first time, mostly because nobody will ever see it. ;)

As you're building it, feel free to put up pics and a build log. People will chime in to let you know what you're doing right and wrong. And always ask if you're not sure. Best of luck! I hope it turns out well!

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

What tools do I need for building a sub box? Its going to be for a 12" sub (built by ssackett) powered by a Sundown Saz 1500D, with a slot port.

I mostly already know what I need, but there is some that I don't.

Do I need a jigsaw & circular saw, or can I just use a circular saw for everything?

You can use a circular saw for the staight edes but make sure you use some sort of guide, unless you have a really steady hand

What kind of silicone, screws, bits, bracing, ect...would be best?

Dont need silicone, the wood glue should seal it up fine. For screws I use 1 5/8" coarse drywall screws from Home Depot. Bits for the router, use a 1/4" straight bit. Also a counter sink bit for you drill helps with..well... countersinking screws. Bracing you can use 2x4s, dowels, or all thread. I recommend dowels or all thread

...how much wood?

A single sheet of 3/4" MDF would be enought for a single 12 in a ported box

Im a noob so help me out here. :pardon: I don't want to spend too much on tools either.

I want to do 45's for the corners and coat the inside with resin, but I might skip if its too much.

For this look around for a local boating supply store or get your fiberglass supplies online

Alot of questions, I know, but will appreciate the help. :good: I don't wanna just hop into it and screw ship up.

How much should everything cost?

If you don't have all these tools get atleast a circular saw, jigsaw for holes(in my opinon easier than a rounter, unless you have a jig), drill, and sand paper(for sharp edges in port walls) This can get costly but it worth buying especially if you'll be doing this later in the future. Also don't be too scared its pretty easy. I would suggest getting comfortable with the tools first.

Hope this helps man and good luck

Hopefully I'll get a result like this:

every tool ive used when building a box is in this list, i like useing wood glue n brad nails for my boxs n have no problem with them at all either but if u dont have an air compressor n brad nail gun that can use 1.5'' to 2'' nails i would just use screws

so here goes tools list

first off u cant forget ppe or personal protection equitment

i susjest useing a dust mask cause when mdf gets hot it emits a fume called formaldehyde n it can mess u up n helps keep sawdust out of ur lungs

safty glasses

pencle, or pen, and something to write measurements down on

tape measure

t square (dont really need it but it helps finding center for subs alot easyer n a str8 edge for cutting also)

skill saw

jig saw

drill bits, n use a bit that will be the size of the shaft of the screw not the threads

drill, can be battery powered or corded doesnt really matter

screws, i like drywall screws for more courser threads n helps to keep from stripping

i use tub cylicone myself

wood glue, doesnt matter u can chose

2 sheets of 3/4'' mdf should be plenty, i like haveing enough than not enough n halfto go back

umm, if u want to bypass all of this u can ask one of the ppl at lowes or home depot to cut ur boards out for u, just give em the measurements n they will use there panel saw n get it over quick n all u gotta do is put it together if u dnt think ur to good with a skill saw

anyways hope this helps

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

umm, if u want to bypass all of this u can ask one of the ppl at lowes or home depot to cut ur boards out for u, just give em the measurements n they will use there panel saw n get it over quick n all u gotta do is put it together if u dnt think ur to good with a skill saw

just make sure you watch what there doing and make sure they cut it propperly i've had some friends try that and they all came out to short here to long there

what helps if your doing this is go to home depot with your designs and a list of what you need cut and actually show them what you need cut

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Thanks for all the help guys

I wonder if two sheets will leave with some leftovers to build an amp rack

Will I still need to double baffle it if I make the sub fit flush?

I know if I ever find out you were messing with my 17yr old daughter, i'm diggin' off in that ass and then your next post will be asking for tips on how to remove my size 12 shoes from your ass.

Open Up The Trunk

Pioneer P6000Ub H.U.

Sundown Saz-1500D

Hifonics ZXi 4410

12" Directed SX12D4 (x2)

12" 1500rms Sub x1

Front - Powerbass 4XL-65-92 Mids

Rear - Cadence 6.5" Mids

Electrical Under Construction

Check Me Out(CarAudio Vids)

Official Feedback Thread

Check Out My Music Page

to make the sub look flush just put one panel on n cut out hole for sub to mount to n then put another board on top of that n cut it out to the outer demintions of the sub should be around 12'' or so

just make sure to give into account the thickness of the boards n add them to the lingths of the other panels like 2 pieces of 3/4'' = 1.5'' extra to make it all look right if ur panels dont go in flush

and 1 sheet should be enough but i always get a lil bit more wood just to make sure i dont run out n halfto "make" somethin worth rather than it go as planned

n ya u should have enough wood left for amp rack

in all i used maby 1/4 sheet of 1/4'' for my amp rack

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Archived