Second Skin Audio

1 ohm vs 2, 4, 6 or 8 ohm

FreekDesignz

also a higher ohm load @ 1000 rms (example) will put more stress on your electrical system than a low ohm load @ 1000 rms

This is news to me.

If i had a 5,00wrms sub stage I would much rather have all my amps at 8ohm (still 5krms) than all at .5ohm (creating 5krms).

-Drew

**Understood that a single amp does not operate like this- just an example

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I strongly suggest spending a couple days reading through bcae1.com.. Has some of the best info on all things car audio and explains things pretty well too.

To the OP - If you're looking for an amp that does a "legit" 2000w around 1ohm then you're gonna need some electrical upgrades to run the amp properly/safely. You can't just get an amp like an American Bass VFL200.1 and wiring to a stock electrical system in your car.

I see you already have the 3 D2 Kicker L5s, what is your budget for the amp?? Remember you're gonna need a proper electrical to back it up: HO alt(Ohio Gen, DC Power, etc)... good under hood batt(Kinetik 1000/1400, Northstar NSB-40, or similar)... big 3 upgrade in 1/0ga... big batt in back(Kinetik 2400, XS 3100, or similar), and the proper power/ground wires + other accessories to wire up the amp.

my budget is around 200 - 250 but i might b able to spend a couple hundred more, you see im starting out brand new i got 1 kicker from one of my friends and then i wanted more so i went out and bought 2 more so all i have right now is 3 kickers so i went to tha pros 4 help.

yes i realize that..but im trying to get things across clearly so he can understand better..what he dosent need is posts defining the word Ohm.

What he does need to know is Ohm's law. And so does anyone else working with power.

Also, I suppose he should know that the impedance rating is not a fixed rating, and will change with frequency. Your loudspeaker may be 2.66Ohm when you throw your multimeter on it, but place it in an enclosure, give it a note and hey, 50Ohm. And that placing it in a true horn mouth will often make an '8ohm' loudspeaker completely different.

Possibly, I was trying to help differ the common notion that 'ohm loads' are these fixed numbers that govern how much power you get, when in reality it is 100% dependant on other variables that once you know Ohm's law, you can work around.

You may argue that you can just work off the median, but say he's all done down to 1Ohm DC resistance (a 1-ohm 'ohm load'), and he hits a low note. As his drivers unload and their electrical resistance drops, you are now at a lower impedance than the amplifier supports. Thank-you for using Amplifier Stop-And-Drop. Please replace MosFETs at the earliest convinience.

No doubt your posts have helped him. Perhaps if he wishes, V=IR will too.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

hey dude im sure that these guys are completely loosing you with this talk^. so really all that you need to know is your gunna need to spend more than 250 to complete this project. you need a 2000watt rms amp at 1ohm. then you will need to upgrade your electrical, id suggest adding a second battery in the rear of your vehicle, and you are gunna need at least 1 run of 1/0 wire from the front battery to the rear battery, then you will need to do the "big 3 upgrade". just use the search button for that its not that hard to do. and after that it would help to have an upgraded alternator and a better battery in the front i know tc has a stereo shop im in alpena. so just go into them and ask for some help with needing to know what to get but i probably wouldn't buy it from them because it would be more expensive but i would have them install it.

i know it sounds like alot to do but just buy one thing at a time and you will be there before you know it

97 Honda Civic Sedan

Rear disc brake conversion

2" drop

17's

lots of exterior mods

SYSTEM

SoundStream VIR-5850 Dvd player

RE 6x9's and 6.5's

Soundstream DTR4.500

Soundstream DTR1.2200

8" RE-x in a t-line

Kinetik 1800

Plans

4-SA-8's

Another Kinetik

High output alt

My Cardomain

ur about in the same boat i am.. 250 dollars isnt gunna cut it ur gunna be spending close to a grand or more

2002 Dodge durango 4.7L

Autopage 2 way remote start alarm system

2 AQ 15 Aluminum coils.

1 AQ2200D (soon to be 2).

8.5 cubes tuned to 38hz.

Yellow top under hood.

Kinetik 1800 in rear.

Big 3.

(H/O Alt Soon to come)

Kicker ZX200.4

Kicker 6.5 doors (blown)

RF 6.5 comp set (soon to come)

1 run of Stinger 1/0 guage (soon to be 3)

All of the above is all gone

Currently own a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

No audio components.

Archived