Jump to content

Speakers being completely overwhelmed by bass


mikey634

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've some Polk 6.5'' 2-way speakers being run at 75 W rms, but I've a RE XXX 15'' at 2000 W rms pushing bass in a 33hz ported box. I notice on songs with heavy low bass (hip hop mainly), the mid's/high's completely cut out. Literally it sounds like *music* *music* *booooom* *booooom* *music* *music* *boooooom* *booooom*.

My sub amp is run off two HC-3800's and the speaker amp off a HC-1200, and the voltage never drops more then 0.2 volts, so I'm thinking it's not electrical. Is it just an auditory illusion? What I'm thinking is just upgrade the mid's and high's to push more power - ~800 W rms for 4 pairs of rockford T1652 components - but I'm not sure if this will fix my problem. My subs are also being upgraded to about 10 kW rms so if it's just an illusion I'm going to have even more of a problem in the future :unknw:

Thanks for any help! Chris

Posted

put your ear close to the speaker and play it like you explained. see if you can still hear it. if you cant, somethings probably wrong, if you can, you need more highs lol

Posted

yea thats the easiest way to test it. it could just be masking (louder soind covering up quieter one) but if the highs are actually cutting out when the bass hits you sir have a problem

R.I.P '01 blazer you treated my ears well until your transmission blew up.

New Project

[top secret]

149.0 db on music driver window open; so close

I feel some boners are fueled by viagra and not true intimacy!......if you know what i mean....

I swear... sometimes I wish I was retarded so I could just agree with everyone x.
Posted

It sounds like the speaker is resonating to the sub-bass frequencies and is losing all the higher frequency stuff. I've included a couple videos, and surprising the camera did a good job of capturing the awesome SQ of my system :D

It really does sound like this:

th_Picture120.jpg

Different song, also show voltage meter off highs amp (the two sub amp batteries are connected, but they're so big their voltage is different by a hair)

th_Picture121.jpg

I should probably just get more wattage going to the mids and highs and maybe the subs can't cow them so much?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1319 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...