Sonic Electronix

my box is 1.5 cubic feet and its saying it need to be 7 inchs long 3 wide to be a 36hz. does that sound about right? and ive seen the pvc port both inside and out the box. what is the difference? thanks guys

The only difference AFAIK with the port being internal or external is whether it takes up airspace in your box.

Edited by R_Mac_1

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

7 inches long and 3 ft wide??????? that doesnt sound right to me.....

shit sorry i read that wrong lol

Edited by crazyfrazz09

1998 jeep grand cherokee

future teardown and rebuild:

2-15.4 orion hcca's

sub amp undecided

2 sets of components

1-concept amp (mids/highs)

undecided h.o. alt

2-yellow tops

7 inches long and 3 ft wide??????? that doesnt sound right to me.....

He said 7 inches long and 3 wide.

21 sq. in. of port for 1.5 cubes sounds decent (falls within the 12-16 sq.in. per cube rule). What sub are you using?

EDIT: after thinking about it, are you saying a slot port that is 7"x3" or are you saying a 3" pvc tube that's 7" long? That would only be ~7 sq.in. of port area

Edited by R_Mac_1

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

He said 7 inches long and 3 wide.

21 sq. in. of port for 1.5 cubes sounds decent (falls within the 12-16 sq.in. per cube rule). What sub are you using?

EDIT: after thinking about it, are you saying a slot port that is 7"x3" or are you saying a 3" pvc tube that's 7" long? That would only be ~7 sq.in. of port area

pvc port

Well, normally the number that gets thrown around is to have 12-16 sq. in. or port per cube for most applications (I think that's what it is).

PVC ports would probably fall into that category. So, if you have 1.5 cubes, you want 18-24 sq. in. of port. Three 3" pvc tubes would put you into that range.

Aero ports are more efficient, so you could use a smaller port area, but I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe 12-18 sq. in. (I'm just throwing a number out, not sure what the actual recommendations are, but you get the idea). In that case maybe one 4" aero port would work for you.

I'd wait and see if a few of the forum gurus can give you more help.

But, you want to first figure out what kind of port you're gonna use and how many, then you need to figure your box volume and port length to calculate tuning.

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

Well, normally the number that gets thrown around is to have 12-16 sq. in. or port per cube for most applications (I think that's what it is).

PVC ports would probably fall into that category. So, if you have 1.5 cubes, you want 18-24 sq. in. of port. Three 3" pvc tubes would put you into that range.

Aero ports are more efficient, so you could use a smaller port area, but I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe 12-18 sq. in. (I'm just throwing a number out, not sure what the actual recommendations are, but you get the idea). In that case maybe one 4" aero port would work for you.

I'd wait and see if a few of the forum gurus can give you more help.

But, you want to first figure out what kind of port you're gonna use and how many, then you need to figure your box volume and port length to calculate tuning.

sweet good thing i didnt go and start cuttin haha. so you think 3 3" pvc tubes would be right? and how long do you think they need to be? sorry im new to all this ha

sweet good thing i didnt go and start cuttin haha. so you think 3 3" pvc tubes would be right? and how long do you think they need to be? sorry im new to all this ha

Well I'm a bit new too so I don't want to give advice and have it be wrong. Without knowing squat about your actual sub, the 3 3" pvc tubes DOES put you in the usual recommended port area range.

If you're wanting to get a box design, you can ask to have someone do a design for you. May be better to pay $10-$20 to someone who knows their shit in order to save yourself hassle and wood cost down the road.

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M