Second Skin Audio

how to carpet ported enclosure

I have always absolutley sucked at carpeting, serious. I have tried and tried to cut corners, and also, try new carpeting techniques. If you ever use a router, I have a pretty cool trick. Since I suck at seams, the sides, I get 1/4" mdf, or even 1/2", use the router to copy the shape of the sides, then use a half round bit, and round the edges, then paint these with rhino liner paint, and clear coat... As for the front, if the port is on the sub side, I would use the same thing, 1/4" or 1/2" mdf, rout it to the shape, cutting out the woofer, port, and edges, then that piece I would carpet that alone, or paint it with rhino liner again. The rest of the box I would just carpet, and tick the seams under the front baffle, and side caps. The box end up looking sick at the end. Here is an idea of what Iam talking about.

post-11-1159001250.jpg

dual12painted.JPG_thumb

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ok.. that suggestion was good.. but i have no more room in my trunk to add anymore wood whatsoever.. so i need to get the carpeting done.. i need to get some advice on how to start.. what side to start it on.. and how to get the seams together the best.. i looked at meade's box that he built for his friend's mtx 9500's and i got lost at one part.. pictures would be great.. thanks

18's in a wall to come....Its not all about the posts....check the member #...

Well, no pics of carpeting, but one thing you can do, is just concentrate on carpeting the sides that actually show, like the face, top, side, and screw the back or bottom of the box, if they are not seen, nobody really cares. And also, the seams where you think people can notice pretty good, use a hair brush, and brush over those seams, it will help hide the seams a little better.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

well i am not the best "carpet person for boxes but i can get r dun, i normaly start on the side with no subs and (useing contact cement) i glue the back on but only allow the carpet to go mid way in on the back, then roll the box onto the newly glued side and apply gule to the uncarpeted side thats now viewable and pull the carpet tight and press firmly into the glue working out all air pockets and wrinkles, then roll the box over again and youre at the woofer location, gule the wood and apply the carpet holding it tight and do that for the last side..and when you reach the side you orignaly stared with, put the glue on the box and apply the pressure to the carpet to make it stick and leave the over hang over the orignal carpet job, when the carpet and glue has set up so the carpet doesnt start to pull away from the glue, roll the box so the back where you first started is faceing the clouds and with a brand new very sharp razor cut both the orignal carpte and the over hang carpet at one time doing a single pull thru both pices makeing sure as to not lift your knife or makeing 2 cuts for one line. remove the excess carpte from the last side and then peal off the orignal side carpet that is glued to the box reapply new glue under the last part of carpet and apply it in place and since it was cut exactly as the orignal you should have a perfect fit and placement.....now to do the hardest part :(

them dam 2 last sides , they get tricky

i recomend a brand new blade for each cut since razors are so cheap (flip the blade around to use the unused side) so you dont have snags or runs in the carpet..

(visulaise this) you have 2 bare sides and the carpet is hanging over on both sides of the box you will take a cut at a angle from the top right pulling down at an angle aiming towards the bottom left side and do this for all 4 sides now you have 5 pices of carpet cut into V's glue the largest of them onto the box , makeing sure to pull it tite but not so tite you cause buckleing in the other parts of the box. then you will apply the next side and so on and so on, and to trim it all up you will cut thru both layers at the same time and removeing the bottom layer and reapplying glue to glue the top most layer back down and when all is said and done your side of the box should have (possibly heavy noticable lines) what appears to be an X in the carpet where it was cut and guled as neatly as possible...

well i hope i didnt loose ya too bad , but if so im building a box tonite and im going to carpet it so if you need pictures let me know and ill do a step by step pic thing for ya to tryn help ya some on it

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets