So i started a business about six months back and today i had a customer call me and ask me to hook up some security cameras and some computers for his business and he wants the cameras to be able to be remotely accessed from his home/cell phone. I explained to him that i had never did it before but was pretty confident i could do it. What im wanting to know is if anyone on here has any experience/tips for doing something like this, also, what would be a fair price for something like that? Its 4 cameras, a monitor for in his shop and two computers in his shop, all on the same network. Thanks for any help/advice!!

I have done this type of work for years. The price is really dependent on the type of equipment you use. Install usually is easy because with cameras it is typically plug and play. It will depend if the shop is open ceiling or drop tile, if he wants you to fish the walls or not.

Viewing cameras from a cellphone is possible but it would have the be ran by and online program. Usually remote access has a controller program installed on the users computer to be used.

Don't take this the wrong way but dont get in over your head. There are a lot of legal restrictions around camera systems, and you can get in a lot of trouble if you do something wrong.

I have done this type of work for years. The price is really dependent on the type of equipment you use. Install usually is easy because with cameras it is typically plug and play. It will depend if the shop is open ceiling or drop tile, if he wants you to fish the walls or not.

Viewing cameras from a cellphone is possible but it would have the be ran by and online program. Usually remote access has a controller program installed on the users computer to be used.

Don't take this the wrong way but dont get in over your head. There are a lot of legal restrictions around camera systems, and you can get in a lot of trouble if you do something wrong.

Its just a welding shop so i dont think the wires need to be fished, ive talked to the guy a bit (meeting him next week to talk more) And it really doesnt seem that he knows what all he wants. Ive been doing some reading on it and it seems like the camera system would be simple, im just a little confused about the streaming bit. Like do u have to pay a monthly service for the streaming ability? and what if the camera system he bought isnt a "internet cam" setup? Does it have to be bought with the streaming ability? Mainly he wants to catch whoevers stealing his metal and have the ability to see his shop from his house, also wants me to setup two computers in his shop, but thats cake. Either way, i told him that i had never did the whole security camera thing but im pretty confident i can get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

personnely not to thread jack i know how ya feel. I started my car audio business in 06 oh i can tackle that was used once. Shit bout lost every damn thing i can suggest do research before u say u can do something believe me ive been there. Best of luck tho. i am friends with a guys who has the internet viewing thingy he can watch the cams online anytime he wants as far as phone dunno srry if this dont help.

Edited by BlurdvisionKustomz

The way I log into the cameras at work is by using the IP address for the DVR. They make specific internet based cameras that come with viewing software but you can do it with any camera as long as you can share the DVR over the network.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

well, i started the job, still havent bid the guy, all the cameras are mounted and most of the wires are ran, waiting on some extensions for the wires to get in then i will be done buttoning it all up, it hasnt been that difficult so far, just me and my brother (since im a non-ladder friendly raging fat ass) mounting some cameras and running some wires, im thinking i will bid 350-400, what do you guys think?

on a different note, i got a job today (still doing the computer thing on the side) and you are know talking to the new Embassy Suites Shift Engineer!! lol (its a big title for very shitty pay)