few quesiotns about carputer...

pimpedout97x

ok so i have all the stuff for the MINI's carputer (screen, pc, etc)

whats the BEST and CLEANEST way to provide power to it? its an Asus EEE box (not the netbook, its the desktop)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883220002

also, my main concern is the following, as im going to start a console build in the MINI to house the pc and 10.4" screen, but i need to know some more info before i build the console so i dont have to change it later.

should i run a HU with the PC and integrate it all somehow? or should i just run the PC as the source of all my music? i dont need FM radio, although i could get that IF i wanted and just tether from my phone, but i dont care about radio really.

reason i ask is becuase my pioneer 880 right now is my crossover and EQ as well. i can run software EQ's and crossovers though, right?

also, i want a hardware volume knob, not having to control it through the screen when i wanna turn it up or down.

also, preouts...how does that work? id want a better high end sound card, and it would have to be an external one, which i can mould into the console too. any ideas? need 3 preouts total, one for my mids amps, one for tweets, and one for subs. whats the preout voltage like when you run this kind of setup?

if i decide to keep a HU with the computer as well, how does it all wire together (RCA wise?) theres only 1 input on the amps, so how do i get it so i can have volume from either the HU, or the computer?

Steve, i'd like some input on this from you as well, i know youve done the computers in chickens truck, and i think you recently put one in your ride too right, and also kept your HU? shed some light on that for me :)

thanks

Cant answer you about the power supply integration.

As far as the setup goes I would keep the head unit as is. Run the output from the sound card of the PC to the AUX in jack of the head unit. Treat the PC just like you would an I Pod. Having to adjust the volume and EQ settings from a PC would wind up just being a pain in the ass. Much easier to do that from your deck. Just set the volume on you pc and leave it alone.

I was thinking about using that same PC in my truck. Very small and packed with features. The included on board sound will probably sound pretty good out of the box and may save you a few bucks. I would at least try it out before getting an external unit.

This is basically the same setup I use in my house. Desktop PC ran to my Receiver. I use the receiver to control all the EQ adjustments and volume. Use the pre out from the receiver to an amplifier to power my sub.

Cant answer you about the power supply integration.

As far as the setup goes I would keep the head unit as is. Run the output from the sound card of the PC to the AUX in jack of the head unit. Treat the PC just like you would an I Pod. Having to adjust the volume and EQ settings from a PC would wind up just being a pain in the ass. Much easier to do that from your deck. Just set the volume on you pc and leave it alone.

I was thinking about using that same PC in my truck. Very small and packed with features. The included on board sound will probably sound pretty good out of the box and may save you a few bucks. I would at least try it out before getting an external unit.

This is basically the same setup I use in my house. Desktop PC ran to my Receiver. I use the receiver to control all the EQ adjustments and volume. Use the pre out from the receiver to an amplifier to power my sub.

well, i know you can buy a knob to control the volume of the computer. still not sure yet though which route im going to go.

• 2 months later...

hey bro how did your setup come out? my truck just got broken into so im now in the market for a new HU but came across Carputers?? hows the sound quality? thats my main worry.. i had a Pioneer mp860 with 6v pre's and listened to nothing under 320kb, it sounded awesome, can this be done with a car pc setup??

• 6 months later...