I've been researching this for a little while but can't find a whole lot of info. I'm going to shave my tailgate handle when I do some bodywork and new paint. I found a couple kits for a tailgate popper but can't find exactly how they work. For those that don't get what I'm saying, it's like the door popper kits for people who shave their door handles. The majority of people put the handle on the inside of the bed, but I plan on getting a tonneau cover that can only be opened from the under side if the tailgate is open. Has anyone seen one personally or know exactly how they work?

Here's the kit- http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partfamilyid=2251

I will be using some gas tailgate struts as well to keep it from just slamming open, will be a smooth drop.

stop making sense you'll kill the argument.

Earth, you feel me?

You aren't loud enough to be felt.

why not reverse the handle if your not going to have a shell or a bed cover? that way you reach in there and pull the lever/handle

other then that im sure it works just like a regular door popper!?

Reading>me

scratch the reverse handle lol

Edited by Red-navi-916

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

why not reverse the handle if your not going to have a shell or a bed cover? that way you reach in there and pull the lever/handle

other then that im sure it works just like a regular door popper!?

Reading>me

scratch the reverse handle lol

Haha. I started reading and was like, :clapping: After multiple google searches and reading through 10 pages on each search I finally found it. Thanks for the input though. ;)

Edited by Nova

Earth, you feel me?

Haha. I started reading and was like, :clapping: After multiple google searches and reading through 10 pages on each search I finally found it. Thanks for the input though. ;)

I knew someone that did what you are talking about 15years ago. he used a 10lb pull door pop motor and attached it to the rods inside the tailgate.

I wouldn't do it that way just incase you lose power, or have a problem you can still get it open.

I have also been there and done that and I say, Just flip it and call it a day.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

its cake

the spring door "poppers" are cheap, but have to be drilled in and mounted in a spot that they hit the tailgate before it closes, and are compressed when the tailgate latches, so when the latch is opened it pops it out a bit(like an inch or so, enough for it to be unlatched and you to grab it.

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/dsd443269.ht..._term=DSD443269

the next thing you need is a solenoid. go bigger than you need, like a 40lb'r. self explanitory, but mount it and tie it into the latch so it pulls like your old handle did to unlatch the gate when given current (from a switch, button, or if you're handy, the trunk release of your alarm system)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-SL35

(i just showed autoloc because its a company I've personally installed, and had great reliability and results with. I know your project just got like $150 bux tacked on, but it will so be worth it when you hit a button on your keypad and the gate drops down for ya)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Thanks Ray. I plan on wiring it into my alarm and using it as my trunk pop button as you stated. I also think I'm going with a 60 lb. solenoid because it's an older truck. I'd rather have to much than not enough. :D Thanks for the input

-Twiztid, It would do me no good to put the latch on the other side. I wouldn't be able to open the gate with the tonneau cover on it. Thanks for the reply though.

Edited by Nova

Earth, you feel me?