Voltage problem :(

Nope, dual 4's wired at 1-ohm final load. and i did the big 3 upgrade and tried the amp again and had the same jjump. Like i said I was bumpin at a low vol and then outta nowhere my voltage dropped to 9 back to 14.6 then kept doing it. I unhooked amp and it stopped. The alt takes the full load of a/c on, headlight on, 100rms amp full tilt, fan full speed, with no prob. doesnt even hesitate.

I double checked power for shorts and found none. I was advised by Maxxsonics not to hook amp back up or else i woulld try diff ground. I sanded sheetmetal first and everything. Thing is my ground waire is like 2 to 2 and a half foot. Idk if that plays any part but the amp worked perfectly for the few days i had it hooked up. subs are okay they still work, thats what the 100rms 2 channel is powering now.

Could my amp just be a lemon like suggected?

edit: oh and the voltage was jumping everytime the amp saw power. even with all rca's, speaker cable unplugged

Is your amp 1 ohm stable? Or is it just 2 and 4 ohm stable? Reason why I ask is because

my amp is 2 and 4 ohm stable and i had dual 4 ohm subs ( two L7 15s) wired down into 1

ohm's and they sucked alota power...

Even when the bass hit, with the aftermarket alt and Big III

and batcap, I was seeing my volt gauge drop down into the high 11's with the car in idle!!

Not sure if my volt gauge was too accurate tho..

Thats when i changed the belt into a goodyear gatorback and it did help the car from stuttering

when the bass hit, when i was in idle.. Anyways alota things can

play a roll to this, but i doubt its anything with your grounds being 2 and ah half foot long..

Definitley something electrical.. If ya have anybody in your area that

has the same subs, but dual 2 ohm's wired down into 2 ohm's, id put em in and

then you'l notice how bad your voltage drop is as compared to having dual 4's wired down to 1ohm..

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

Can none of you read? The alt has no issues holding a huge load of other stuff, and the voltage issue is the same with everything disconnected from the amp except power.....

The amp is the problem... the power supply section is probably on the way out, maybe a bad FET or possibly a shorted transformer winding...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Can none of you read? The alt has no issues holding a huge load of other stuff, and the voltage issue is the same with everything disconnected from the amp except power.....

The amp is the problem... the power supply section is probably on the way out, maybe a bad FET or possibly a shorted transformer winding...

Boon, for some reason it made me feel a ton better knowing that its probably my amplifier. lol

But what can cause the power supply section to be going bad?

What caused a bad FET and a transformer winding getting shorted?

Derp.

Because it comes and goes I'm reasonably certain that it'll be a transformer winding. Sometimes they don't wind the transformer tight enough or don't glue it right or sometimes you just get unlucky and the windings rub together juuuust right to wear through the epoxy and short out. Also if you thrash the shit out of your amp you can cook the epoxy coating... final but rare option is maybe a dodgy cap that is shorting out but this is pretty rare.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Could vibration play any part in one of them parts going bad? I had the amp mounted right behind the woofer box on the trunk floor. Secured with one little screw on each side into the carpet just to keep it from sliding around. I know I should've mounted it to MDF and securely fastened that to the vehicle.

Also, what your saying is it is probably just a 'lemon' amo if I were to use that term?

Derp.

Bump for help...

BTW the amp is now en route back to SonicElectronix so they can do their 'test' and replace my amp. What sucks is dude from Sonic says it'll be about 2 weeks before i receive amp again.

For some reason I have a thought that it'll 'pass' there testing and I'll have to pay more money. With the problems at hand it'll most likely fail right? I worry about things like this lol

Derp.

you should take a look at your ground when i bought my amps locally they offered free installation and after a week my caps after my second battery were reading 8 volts found my ground sparking with any slight move i scraped the paint and slammed a self tapper in there and bam ground for life yes big 3 coming soon for me i already have 2 batteries but only 95 stock ford amps ive seen the meter go over 200 somehow though ima kill it haha put your amp on an oscilloscope and get your self a sweet wave no lines and you pounddddd

I did my ground myself and I do have an a resistance of 0.04 ohms. so the ground is good. :)

Why use a self tapping screw? Just usee a good non-anodized bolt with a couple lock washers and your good to go. and BAM! ground that works! lol

Edited by solo_x18

Derp.