JL W7 13

Ben G.

You're not paying for the name brand, your paying for the fact that tons of R&D went into designing the sub and the fact that each sub is built with specialized equipment. There is lots of amps out there that will work for 3 ohms but the main reason they went with that impedance is so you can match a JL amp up with the sub. And another thing is you shouldn't be worrying about recones if you are using the sub properly.

In a pure SQ setup you shouldn't be worrying about which sub is louder.

/waits for JL haters flame storm

Show me the R&D they did for performance. As far as I can tell, the suspension of the subwoofer looks exactly the same as any other subwoofer in the world. No new features there. Oh yeah, it has a cast basket and a magnet like the majority of the subwoofers out there in the world. What you're saying is the reason the sub is $1000 (at a shop) is because it uses a cool little ring to make the surround cover up the mounting holes, which is purely cosmetic? On top of that, if for some reason the surround gets damaged, the enamel on the coil breaks down after a few years of use, or the cone becomes damaged that you have to ship your sub to JL so they can repair it for the low low price of $400? Appearance wise, I don't see where the R&D is... Look at the AA SMD sub. It looks like it is a piece of equipment with tons of engineering, R&D, and time put into it. Look at the subs using Neo magnets, those look like they have some R&D involved with them.

I wouldn't go as far to say that JL does more R&D than many of these companies do that charge a fraction of the price for a higher quality and repairable subwoofer (DD, FI, RE, AA, Sundown, Treo, T3, DC, etc.)

Digital Amps aren't cheap, but JL charges $1 a watt for theirs, while alpine charges $.50-$.60/ watt for their digital amplifiers that are smaller and better looking.

75184d1236282481-jl-w7-jl-audio-jl13w7.jpg

adire-audio-parthenon-subwoofer-side-view.jpg

0.jpg

Show me the R&D they did for performance. As far as I can tell, the suspension of the subwoofer looks exactly the same as any other subwoofer in the world. No new features there. Oh yeah, it has a cast basket and a magnet like the majority of the subwoofers out there in the world.

Well of course its a subwoofer, that's like saying a ferrari and a chevy cobalt both have 4 wheels and an engine, why is one better.

What you're saying is the reason the sub is $1000 (at a shop) is because it uses a cool little ring to make the surround cover up the mounting holes, which is purely cosmetic?

I never mentioned anything about its mounting system in my last post. There is quite a few patents they made on their design and im sure that costed time and money. Some may look like its not a big deal but that's still part of the cost.

On top of that, if for some reason the surround gets damaged, the enamel on the coil breaks down after a few years of use, or the cone becomes damaged that you have to ship your sub to JL so they can repair it for the low low price of $400?

And of course its going to be expensive to fix something expensive. Is it cheap to maintain a ferrari or a buggati? I wouldn't think so.

Appearance wise, I don't see where the R&D is... Look at the AA SMD sub. It looks like it is a piece of equipment with tons of engineering, R&D, and time put into it. Look at the subs using Neo magnets, those look like they have some R&D involved with them.

I wouldn't go as far to say that JL does more R&D than many of these companies do that charge a fraction of the price for a higher quality and repairable subwoofer (DD, FI, RE, AA, Sundown, Treo, T3, DC, etc.)

Im sure lots of time were put into those other various subwoofers as well but I don't think those companies have the same facilities that JL does, which is reflected in the cost.

JL Factory Tour

Now its not like im saying this is the best subwoofer ever I don't even agree with the price either but there must be some reason why. Of course they are making money off it but how else would they stay in business and be able to design new products.

Alpine INA-W900

Dynaudio system 362

Zapco DC650.6

Stetsom 2k

2 15" DC lvl 4 hybrids

Well of course its a subwoofer, that's like saying a ferrari and a chevy cobalt both have 4 wheels and an engine, why is one better.

Why is the W7 better in your opinion? I have given you my opinion, while the only thing you've given me so far is "Well JL has patents and JL spent a lot of time designing their sub" At least show me a video of JL dominating in something... Whether it be bass race or a SQ competition.

I never mentioned anything about its mounting system in my last post. There is quite a few patents they made on their design and im sure that costed time and money. Some may look like its not a big deal but that's still part of the cost.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=3

Looking into it a little more, there is nothing amazing about the patents. They incorporated a few designs for cooling, a large diameter spider, a large (tall) voice coil for power handling, and the cone/ surround roll they incorporated are purely cosmetic.

I'm going to leave this as a marketing joke, for those that don't know much about quality speakers. The 13w7 is a quality speaker, but like I said... for the money, it's a joke. Put a $355 price tag on it, I'm there.

And of course its going to be expensive to fix something expensive. Is it cheap to maintain a ferrari or a buggati? I wouldn't think so.

In the world of car audio, a recone is a recone and they are all relatively cheap, except for any recone from JL. For you to compare the w7 of car audio to the ferrari or buggati of the car industry is outstanding LOL.

Here is where you contradicted yourself "Now its not like im saying this is the best subwoofer ever I don't even agree with the price either but there must be some reason why." Last time I checked Buggati and Ferrari are one of the most highly looked upon cars in the industry.

This is called marketing. It's just like dynamat. Dynamat has done such a great job of marketing, that they can increase the price drastically over the rest. They have done such a good job of marketing that people call these relatively new sound deadening companies like Second Skin and they ask about their 'dynamat.'

Im sure lots of time were put into those other various subwoofers as well but I don't think those companies have the same facilities that JL does, which is reflected in the cost.

What I'm really trying to get across here is that JL audio as a whole has marketed themselves to success. At this point, if they lowered their prices... people would think less of JL. If there was anything of a 'lesser' brand on the shelf that cost more than a JL product, that 'lesser' brand would be considered better because of the ignorance of a majority of the consumers when it comes to car audio. In addition to that, I have to say that JL spent just as much time as any other company making their 'top of the line' product. In addition to the time they spent on their sub, I'm willing to bet that a majority of that time was focused on the cosmetics, the fact that you can't see the screws holding the sub in. Which is great, it looks clean... But it's not worth the extra money IMO.

JL Factory Tour

This link is really cool. They have a huge warehouse. They are doing production on such a large scale that the prices that their competitors offer are even better looking now.

All the w7s I ever installed sounded great, and got loud

But it all comes down to the cost

If the w7 was no more than $300, would be a great over all subwoofer

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

funny ass vid.. lol

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Ya so how much are the brand new AA 18"s going for? or even the 15"s? I bet they cant be cheap...and ya they have alot of technology and engineering in them but i think they are more of a throw sub and meant for spl.... I want loud and CLEAR BASS!

Its an eagle talon. Same thing as a 2gen eclipse. Its 2 door hatchback. Gets real loud on the dash. I live in Wisconsin and this is my first year actually building for compotition. I heard the JL w7's were absolutley amazing, but from what everyone on here is telling me they blow....? Idk...lol Ive always liked my jl's People have re's and fi's and my jl's sound better by far!.... Only thing that sounded better to me was an Adire Brahma...

Archived