Second Skin Audio

dual 15" nightshade box....again

so ive just finished building my 2nd box for these, and still not satisfied. ive done subs forward, port up in middle, but the box made me move my seat to close to the steering wheel it was 6 cubes 80sq inches of port, and i think there wasn't enough port area. sounded good though.

my new box is subs up, port up (drivers side) 6 cubes, 94 sq inches of port. both box's tuned to 32 hz, so im looking to for help on something will i will be happy with, im not looking for numbers, just something that gets low and hella loud at it.

my truck is a 99 s10 ext cab. do i need a bigger box for such low tuning? higher tuning? i play a lot of low 30-35 hz songs when i have it full tilt. i can only go max 16" deep with subs up, max 43" long, and height shorter the better, but right now box is 25, and i could go up to like 32? i just dont want my subs and port way above me head. if i do subs forward, the box has to be less depth so i dont have to push my seats forward again. please help box builders!!!

P.S running off a saz 3500 at 1 ohm..

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

hmmm judging from what i see... your boxes should be good...

i say double check your math... esp. on the port...

when you say "6 cubes" your saying 6 cubes after port, wood, bracing and woofer displacement right?

from what i gather in your OP... your box is 43"x16"x25"... that would make it 9.9537 cubes...im asuming that you did your math corretcly to land you at 6 cubes after displacement.

another possiblity is cabin gain? since its in a truck you have less cabin volume compared to a sudan or a SUV... im still researching the effects of cabin volume to boxes...

i have a truck too and im about to design a pair of 18s in 10 cubes after disp. tuned to 30hz... but im doing some research on the affects of tuning that low in a limited space...

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

you totally need to make a sticky topic on that thread when you get your final opinion so many of us on here have extended cabs and having some information like that would be AWESOME

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

hmmm judging from what i see... your boxes should be good...

i say double check your math... esp. on the port...

when you say "6 cubes" your saying 6 cubes after port, wood, bracing and woofer displacement right?

from what i gather in your OP... your box is 43"x16"x25"... that would make it 9.9537 cubes...im asuming that you did your math corretcly to land you at 6 cubes after displacement.

another possiblity is cabin gain? since its in a truck you have less cabin volume compared to a sudan or a SUV... im still researching the effects of cabin volume to boxes...

i have a truck too and im about to design a pair of 18s in 10 cubes after disp. tuned to 30hz... but im doing some research on the affects of tuning that low in a limited space...

oh ya its deaf 6 cubes after all displacement for sure lol. ive been told that i need a bigger box for such a low tune. from plugging in quick numbers i can get 32" tall box, 15" deep 43" wide, 7.8 cubes after all displacement, 33.20hz , 114.75 sq inches of port.. subs forward, port up....now do i need more port from the 94 i had? remember im looking to ground pound, not SPL. i just dont know what to do anymore..

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

you totally need to make a sticky topic on that thread when you get your final opinion so many of us on here have extended cabs and having some information like that would be AWESOME

i know its hard to get opinions from s10 guys cuz they either wall or have small stuff. sucks

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

i know its hard to get opinions from s10 guys cuz they either wall or have small stuff. sucks

so im getting told to build a 7 cube box with like 126-154 sq inches of port... now thats a huge port, and im not going for spl?

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

ok well i think i figured a 7 cube box with 108 sq inches of port, but what should i tune to? numatik says 38 hz (ish), so im thinking either 36 to 38 hz, will there be a difference between these numbers?

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

Well if you're really into the extremely low notes, you should tune lower than 36hZ. It becomes increasingly difficult to get lower tuning out of such small boxes With my last wall, it was tuned to 32hZ and the car peaked at 36, and with my new one (not sealed front to back/not tuned) the box is tuned to 29hZ and I'm peaking at 30 right where I wanted it.

I was worried about sacrificing a little port area to get the desired tuning, but my subs have >9cu per with tons of power and it's doing wonderful.

Just make the box as big as you can, and find the max length you can fit and use a TI-89 to solve for Av. You'll have to make adjustments to Vb each time, but it's worth the extra work.

Do you have the equation or are you using a program?

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Well if you're really into the extremely low notes, you should tune lower than 36hZ. It becomes increasingly difficult to get lower tuning out of such small boxes With my last wall, it was tuned to 32hZ and the car peaked at 36, and with my new one (not sealed front to back/not tuned) the box is tuned to 29hZ and I'm peaking at 30 right where I wanted it.

I was worried about sacrificing a little port area to get the desired tuning, but my subs have >9cu per with tons of power and it's doing wonderful.

Just make the box as big as you can, and find the max length you can fit and use a TI-89 to solve for Av. You'll have to make adjustments to Vb each time, but it's worth the extra work.

Do you have the equation or are you using a program?

ive been using exposports calc to punch numbers in, and i know jacob recommends 3-3.5 cubes per 15, so i figured 7 cubes total after all displacement. with 108 sq inches of port. then tuning i dont know what to do..... 34, 36, 38?? i like how my old box was (1st one) it was 6 cubes at 32 hz with 80sq inches of port, sounded pretty good, and made my mirrors wave a bit, but wasn't "loud" enough. want it to sound good like that, but make your ears hurt a bit. dont know if it was the smaller box or smaller port or both making it not get as loud?

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

DO the box as big as you can get it. My last set up was a level 4 15 in 4.5 cubes tuned to 28. That got lowwwwww. The only draw back is that your gonna have to watch how much power you throw to it. My dc bottomed out constantly when I was pushing it hard. Im building a box thatll be 9.5 cubes with 155 inches of port@ 31hz. If you wanna ground and pound, tune to 32 or lower.

Team DC!

2005 F150 | Pioneer | Infinity Kappa 6x8's | MTX 3404 4 Channel | Q Logic Kicks | KNU | DC | AQ |

1998 Taurus | Alpine | Punch 5x7's | Rockford Fosgate | MTX | KNU |