Second Skin Audio

Sub wave cancelation???

Miakehl

I've heard that the reason that subwoofers sound better in trunks facing back port back is because the sound wave travels a certain distance hits the trunk and reverbs forward complimenting the wave.

Is this true?

The reason I ask is because I've seen many a trunked car with the subs facing into the cabin or in the cabin and they sound awesome. But when my subs face forward they don't do shit. No bass to the ear, nothing shakes. nothing. Same if the subs are in the cabin, nothing. I've tried every way to get some output from these woofers not facing the trunk but I can't do it. =\

Something about sealing the cabin off from the rear?

What I want to do is find some way to face the subs/port into the cabin that way I can get rid of my trunk rattle. It is impossible to stop the rattle from the trunk latch on this car and it sounds like ass. I can actually hear the trunk rattle inside the car, over the bass if I have my seats folded.

Could there be a way to face subs/port through the rear deck without popping the seal on the rear glass?

I decided I'd try 2 15s at about 1-2kw rms rms since I'm going to have to build the box in the car and fiberglass the funky edges for more airspace anyway.

Ideas?

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

I've heard that the reason that subwoofers sound better in trunks facing back port back is because the sound wave travels a certain distance hits the trunk and reverbs forward complimenting the wave.

Is this true?

The reason I ask is because I've seen many a trunked car with the subs facing into the cabin or in the cabin and they sound awesome. But when my subs face forward they don't do shit. No bass to the ear, nothing shakes. nothing. Same if the subs are in the cabin, nothing. I've tried every way to get some output from these woofers not facing the trunk but I can't do it. =\

Something about sealing the cabin off from the rear?

What I want to do is find some way to face the subs/port into the cabin that way I can get rid of my trunk rattle. It is impossible to stop the rattle from the trunk latch on this car and it sounds like ass. I can actually hear the trunk rattle inside the car, over the bass if I have my seats folded.

Could there be a way to face subs/port through the rear deck without popping the seal on the rear glass?

I decided I'd try 2 15s at about 1-2kw rms rms since I'm going to have to build the box in the car and fiberglass the funky edges for more airspace anyway.

Ideas?

Yeah, it's true.

If you sealed the trunk off from the cabin, you can do either an infinite baffle type setup (I don't recommend it) or you could build a box that seals the the runk off with the subs facing the cabin, sort of like the old setup on Steve Meade's Civic before it got robbed. If you've seen that. There's plenty of guys around here that'll help you out tho... just wait...

Correct. If you have subs in the trunk, you'll likely get the best results from placing all the output as close as possible to the back of the trunk due to group delay. However, the same setup will be louder if you seal the enclosure off from the trunk as the trunk motion is virtually eliminated. Keep in mind that it takes energy to shake your trunk like that. If you redirect that energy, then you stand to gain a lot of output with the same equipment.

Archived