Anyone know of safety concerns when dealing with acetone?

My dad says it can be corrosive or whatever, and told me to ALWAYS wear gloves when handling it. Well, I don't.

I've used it quite a few times for removing Sharpie from various objects, as well as removing the waxy finish from sneakers (for customizing... look it up.)

I'm just asking because some seems to have gotten under my fingernail, and turned it white (the nail, not the finger.)

I'm not concerned, I'm just interested in the health risks. I've not been harmed by it (as far as I can tell)

Any help is cool.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I doubt nail polish remover is 100% acetone, I don't feel like running around the house looking for my moms. But still, even if it 50% acetone, girls use it all the time and never have problems, and they've had nail polish remover out for a long time. So I don't really seeing a problem with it, I wouldn't be that concered, you may can go see your doctor if nobody on here can give you a good explanation. But your dad is right, whenever working with chemicals or anything for that matter, always better to take safety percautions.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

I'm not concerned, I was just curious.

Although, after a few minutes, the finger on which the nail turned white feels weird. Idk, if I still feels weird tomorrow I might do something about it. But it's not anything major.

edit

Just did a quick little google search. Consumer fingernail polish remover averages around 60% acetone, with other chemicals mixed in for "safer use"

2008 Subaru Forester XT

What do you mean by feels wierd? Like to touch it with your other finger and it's smooth or like it's tingling/burning and about to fall off...

Ehh, it just feels... Different? Idk how to explain. It's nothing that concerns me though.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Archived