Second Skin Audio

Tunnel Enclosure

I'm looking to build a tunnel enclosure for 12 10" woofers, either DD 1510's or Sundown SA-10's haven't made up my mind yet. Each sub will have roughly 1 cube of air space. The question i have is, how do i make sure this hits the lows like i want... I've never worked with any sealed enclosures and didn't know if there was some way to "tune" it. Oh, and i will be running 3 SAZ-2000D's at 1 ohm(4 woofers per amp). I'm lookin' to have some major :hairtrick:

heres a sketchup of the enclosure

tunnelenclosure.jpg

The way I have understood tunnels is the tunnel itself is the port. That is where you tune it. I'm not totally sure on that though and hopefully somebody with more knowledge on tunnels will chime in as I want to learn all there is about tunnels. Here is some info I got from somewhere else.

For a ported tunnel

in esscence a tunnel is to low tuned ported boxes firing into a center camber witch is use to give a gain in the highs aswell as the lows. the center chamber idealy needs to be wider than 10 inch. and the port tuning for the center chamber doesent realy effect the lows just make the opening of the tunnel the full size of the center chamber. if your only using 2 subs best off puting the subs at the back of the tunnel closer the rear ports. take into consideration that firing the main center chamber towards the back of the car will help apon playing the lows and give some cabin gain. if its a walled tunnel then ovosly fire forward towards the dash. depending on the center chamber size it will change tuning smaller the center chamber the lower the tuning and the wider center chamber makes the tuning higher. if you can get the over all bandwith within 100 to 150 it should play well.

This one is after I asked about the tunnel BILTD did in his Astro. The one that's posted here. One awesome setup.

well if u are going with that design, its not really an 6th order bandpass so tunning isnt usually planned when making an tunnel and if u are going to tune to 37hz using this parallel design id only reccomend that tunning if you are not looking for any low end at all. having the ports onthe front plate like that is similar too an 6th order parallel but it isnt. look at steve meades caddy design, its the same concept. if you are looking to do big numbers id still take the tunning down to at least 32hz. those parallel designs love to peak high vs an series tuned tunnel or 6th order(port at the back of the enclouser)
don't go three deep Wink in this type of alignment.
it is all about phase dude. off loading and out put restriction are the problems caused.

Hope that helps.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

The way I have understood tunnels is the tunnel itself is the port. That is where you tune it. I'm not totally sure on that though and hopefully somebody with more knowledge on tunnels will chime in as I want to learn all there is about tunnels. Here is some info I got from somewhere else.

For a ported tunnel

This one is after I asked about the tunnel BILTD did in his Astro. The one that's posted here. One awesome setup.

Hope that helps.

Thanks man! Helped a hell of a lot! Might end up redesigning as a ported tunnel

bigger box = lower tuning in sealed applications

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

imo a wall would be louder... my local shop has an astro with 24 kicker l5's in a tunnel and its barely breaking 160 on the ac spl190

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

buy 2 of the subwoofers and play with them in different sealed boxes until they give you the response your after, in my application the samller ported side being the absolute smallest it could seems to be working very well keeping the woofers under control around the 34hz+ range. and the extra large sealed side is giving me the low end response i was after.

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

the tunnel makes the box a bandpass. look at how to build a bandpass if you want to tune it. if you make the tunnel too small the pressure on the face of the woofer can build up in the back of the chamber and blow those subs because they wont be able to move as much as they should. thats why you see people doing "tunnels" in a horn shape.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.