Sundown Audio

Setting Gain With Bass Knob

dmz2711

I have a kicker amp and i need to set the gains properly. The problem i am running into is when all my settings, such as bass, treb, loudness are at 0, i am getting minimal voltage (like 10 volts at the most) when i am suppose to be at 38.1v, and that is with volume at 3/4 as well. Should i increase the bass, or loudness level at all, to increase my voltage?

another question i have is, should i keep my remote gain knob plugged in while doing this? or should i unplug it until i finish setting my gains? I am not sure if the remote gain controls the actual gain of the amp, or just max's out to what the gain knob on the actually chassis of the amp is set at? if anyone has experience with this, i need some help, thanks!!!

btw, the first question was with the bass knob unplugged, i am just curious as to how i would set the gains with the knob plugged in (if i could ever get my voltage above 10). thanks !!! :blink:

Edited by dmz2711

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

Guest Nismofreak
I have a kicker amp and i need to set the gains properly. I understand so far how to do it using a dmm. The question i have is, should i keep my remote gain knob plugged in while doing this? or should i unplug it until i finish setting my gains? I am not sure if the remote gain controls the actual gain of the amp, or just max's out to what the gain knob on the actually chassis of the amp is set at? if anyone has experience with this, i need some help, thanks!!! :blink:

no you match the gain with the head units output voltage......Example: head unit gives out 4 volts out put ...on the amp match the knob to 4 volts output......yes you can have your have you bass knob hooked up but leave the bass knob at 0 db

Correct me if wrong cuzz I might be...

Edited by Nismofreak

no you match the gain with the head units output voltage......Example: head unit gives out 4 volts out put ...on the amp match the knob to 4 volts output......yes you can have your have you bass knob hooked up but leave the bass knob at 0 db

Correct me if wrong cuzz I might be...

i understand what you are tyring to say, thanks. I was trying to set my gains, using a certain formula, and measuring the ac voltage from the speaker outputs. I just don't know why i am only seeing 10volts, when it should be near 38volts. Plus, my amp doesn't have numbers on it for gain, just a knob with dots.

yah that doesn't help out much lol....Anyways ear tunning is the best

thanks, james, and nismofreak.... i'll try to tune by ear if nothin else works out, i am listening for distortion, correct? will i be able to tell when the distortion sets in? what will it sound like? dog turds??? :)

if anyone else with experience knows how to set gains with the sqrt formula, i would appreciate the help, thanks!!!

Guest Nismofreak

yah....listen for distortion and this is how to do it correctly.....Tune you head unit bass level, treble,eq to 0...adjust all knob to 0 on amp and now turn you head unit volume to 3/4 of the way and adjust all the setting till you hear distortion....Wish you Luck!!!!

well the characteristics of the sound coming form the sub changes. could bottom out on some stuff, could be distortion, could get to a point where you have to have your headunit so high that the headunit itself clips the sound.