Second Skin Audio

Port displacement

Probably a dumb question.. i looked and i feel as if it is something so simple that i should know and no one views not obvious... when calculating your final box volume, do you subtract the port area from the final box volume number to get your final internal volume? Such as a box at 5cubes with a 1cube port tuned to 32hz, does that make it a 4cube box tuned to 32hz? I have a feeling i am going to be bashing my head off of the wall with the first response... :(

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

yes the port take up space in the box too

edit: you can use torres box calculator to see check it out too.

I was curious because the torres shows the box volume, and then the port volume. What i was wondering is if say, torres says box volume: 4.52cuft at 32hz. Is this the same number that everyone refers to as 4.52cuft at 32 hz, or do i subtract the .84cuft of port volume from that box volume of 4.52 and get 3.68cuft at 32hz?

I was curious because the torres shows the box volume, and then the port volume. What i was wondering is if say, torres says box volume: 4.52cuft at 32hz. Is this the same number that everyone refers to as 4.52cuft at 32 hz, or do i subtract the .84cuft of port volume from that box volume of 4.52 and get 3.68cuft at 32hz?

if you're referring to you net air space figure, the one that's 2nd from the bottom it's the amount of box volume you're going to have after your port's displacement and and sub's displacement are accounted for. if you're looking at gross air space, then it's the air space before the sub and port displacement

no the box volume it display too you already factor in all the things taking up the internal airspace...i dont know about bracing and what not, port volume eh im not too sure what that is maybe he or someone can chime in..

RE se xxx 18d2 (4)

Audioque 2200 (2)

DC Power 270XP blue

3 C&D fr310

Stinger wiring

CDT components

if you're referring to you net air space figure, the one that's 2nd from the bottom it's the amount of box volume you're going to have after your port's displacement and and sub's displacement are accounted for.

Wow, umm so i guess i need to be a little more observant. thank you sir for completely answering my question by letting me know it was right in front of my face the whole time... :/ (when i use the torres calc) *I am off to bang my head off of the wall now*

Archived