Second Skin Audio

4th Order Bandpass: Armrest port... design help?

kmalinich

Ok..

some of you might have seen this thread : http://www.stevemead...showtopic=71676

(okay, a few of you) and it's about me trying to figure out how i would design a box that would channel all of the sound into the cabin, which means no loss in the trunk and no trunk rattle. amazing, right?

so after a few posts i basically arrived to the idea of doing a 4th order bandpass... that's pretty much all i can do with this application of using the armrest as a port.

so now that the imagination side of things is all taken care of, where the hell do i start on designing a bandpass box? i understand the basic idea.. one sealed chamber, one ported... but i still have a few questions.

- 2 Fi BL 12s

- audioque 2200D

- trunk dimensions: 38" x 38" x 16"

- the armrest hole is probably a lot bigger than the port needs to be.. like 12" x 6" ... i really need to go measure that

what volume do the two chambers need to be?

I want to be able to hit super low notes.. 27Hz notes... is that possible with this setup?

How does the port work.. do you tune the vented chamber like a ported box? then what effect does the sealed chamber have on it?

I'm sorry i have so many questions.. but i've never really seen a buildlog or specs on something like this before.

Thanks a million to anyone who replies! I'll do whatever i can to give you good references!!

DAMMIT!!!

I want someone with 4th order smarts to answer this question as I REALLY wanna do this too.

BTW OP,

Thx for quoting me, I feel accomplished now. =D

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

i'm also designing a box for my level 4 18 i would suggest figuring out how many cubes you have total and downloading winisd and playing around with the sizing and tuning to suite what your looking for

for example i put in my current box (Lime Green) witch is 6 cubes tuned to 32hz. Then i put in a 4th order bandpass (Teal) and played with the sizing of each chamber (I have 8 cubes total to use) and the tuning. The end resuslt to get close to what i was looking for was 2.5 sealed 5.5 ported tuned to 50hz. accourding to this it should be louder until about 52hz and then slightly quieter then my current box from 50hz to 80hz(which i don"t play much in that area anyways).

24kwk5w.jpg

i was told that the charts won"t be correct because on cabin gain but i feel that they are helpful.

Archived