Charging Batteries/ amp range

I was wondering what others are using to charge AGM batteries. I was using a Diehard automatic 2 amp or 10 amp charger until I spoke to Dom who suggested a manual charger. I purchased a Schumacher wheel-style charger and it has multiple amp settings and a timer. You can select 2 amp slow, 20 amp, 40 amp fast charge, 65 amp rapid charge. I know that some say you cannot use higher then a certain voltage on AGM batteries but I know this charger on 65 amp will be over 17 volts. I have 4 batteries in my van, 2 optima and two Shuriken. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Lunar Amplifiers: L1500's x 8, L2125, L100X2, L55x2, L40x2 (2)

Digital Designs 9518G x 2

DDA-W 6.5 components

DDCX 4 x 4

DDCX 5x7 x 4

Iraggi Amputator 260

I have a crappy Diehard charger. it has 2amp,10amp, and 60amp engine start on it. As well as 6volt, automatic, and manual charging selections.

I usually just do a 2 amp manual charge and let them charge over night a few nights a week, sometimes every night.

the manual charge means that it will keep charging the battery even if its already full. If you do this when the batteries are brand new for a week or 2 straight before ever using the batteries you can normally tech the batteries to have a higher resting voltage (sometimes 14-15.5 volts depending on the batteries).

From everything I have ever read, and was told is a agm battery needs a higher charging voltage to maintain a proper full charge, and that a good agm battery should never rest below 13volts.

However some batteries like kenitiks sometimes seem to explode or badly buldge due to the higher charging. Where as I never had a problem charging my XS Power D3100s in the 15.5-16volt range when I ran external regulators or MLAs on my alternators.

EDIT; The 65amp charging selection on your battery charger is most likely engine start mode, and will charge insanely higher to allow your car to start quicker then leaving it sit on the charger for 30 some minutes.

I do not recommend charging your batteries using the 65amp method.

The Shuriken batteries are cheap. They are made by Metra to be competitive to kinetik and Xs power, NSB or any other batteries people are using for car audio.

The specs on those batteries are lacking to say the least and over all aint to great. I wouldnt trust them sitting on a 65 amp charge for 20 minutes let alone over night on a manual charge.

Id say since you got a mix of yellow tops and the Shuriken Id just use the 10 amp automatic charge to play it safe with your batteries.

When money is right upgrade to something nicer like XS Power which has a outstanding reserve capacity.

I have a crappy Diehard charger. it has 2amp,10amp, and 60amp engine start on it. As well as 6volt, automatic, and manual charging selections.

I usually just do a 2 amp manual charge and let them charge over night a few nights a week, sometimes every night.

the manual charge means that it will keep charging the battery even if its already full. If you do this when the batteries are brand new for a week or 2 straight before ever using the batteries you can normally tech the batteries to have a higher resting voltage (sometimes 14-15.5 volts depending on the batteries).

From everything I have ever read, and was told is a agm battery needs a higher charging voltage to maintain a proper full charge, and that a good agm battery should never rest below 13volts.

However some batteries like kenitiks sometimes seem to explode or badly buldge due to the higher charging. Where as I never had a problem charging my XS Power D3100s in the 15.5-16volt range when I ran external regulators or MLAs on my alternators.

EDIT; The 65amp charging selection on your battery charger is most likely engine start mode, and will charge insanely higher to allow your car to start quicker then leaving it sit on the charger for 30 some minutes.

I do not recommend charging your batteries using the 65amp method.

The Shuriken batteries are cheap. They are made by Metra to be competitive to kinetik and Xs power, NSB or any other batteries people are using for car audio.

The specs on those batteries are lacking to say the least and over all aint to great. I wouldnt trust them sitting on a 65 amp charge for 20 minutes let alone over night on a manual charge.

Id say since you got a mix of yellow tops and the Shuriken Id just use the 10 amp automatic charge to play it safe with your batteries.

When money is right upgrade to something nicer like XS Power which has a outstanding reserve capacity.

Thanks for the reply,

The charger is capable of 65 amp rapid charge, it also has a 225 amp starter boost. I actually have a XS Power 2700 battery and a Shuriken. I am not sure of the specs on the shuriken but it is the same physical size as the XS Power but I am not sure of the specs. I did not know anything about Shuriken, I purchased the Shuriken from my dealer at a good price and decided to give it a try.

Lunar Amplifiers: L1500's x 8, L2125, L100X2, L55x2, L40x2 (2)

Digital Designs 9518G x 2

DDA-W 6.5 components

DDCX 4 x 4

DDCX 5x7 x 4

Iraggi Amputator 260

Archived