Second Skin Audio

a question on hz tunning?

i dont get it by when people say they "tunned there box to say like 35hz?" what does this mean and how do you do this?

Tunning is the frequency your box plays at.

Sealed boxes do not have a tunning, they're sealed and that's it.

Ported boxes have/are tunned.

The higher you go the more SPL your getting out of your box but your taking away sound quality.

For daily driving any where from 27hz-40hz is good...40hz may be too much for some people. The prefered choice I would say is around 32hz.

Once you get up past 40hz you shouldn't really be playing music. It's strictly for competition from there up.

Sealed boxes are said to have the best SQ. They can play all the lows. When you tune your box too high you can't pick up some notes.

For example: I had two 15" L7s tunned to 35hz. I could play Young jeezy all day long and it sounded great. However when i went to play Lil Jon, all his songs didn't hit hard are sound all that great. That's why when people go to pick their tunning they pick around 32hz which allows them to pick up most of the lows while still offering plenty of SPL from their enclosure.

Hope I gave you a better understanding. Feel free to ask me any questions. :^

i would definately adveise staying under 36hz for DD....my last box was @ 36Hz and i was verrrry upset with myself, i couldnt pick up anything low whatsoever.....2hz is a huge difference and i didnt think it would be

Yeah don't think 1 or 2 hz isn't a big difference, it is.

Last setup I had was tunned @ 35hz and I was pleased.

Most common is 32hz, around there.

*Edit* I didn't pick up any lows either but im more of an SPL kinda guy. I wouldn't mind playing Young jeezy and other people all day. However there are some songs that I wish I could have played :'(

i have used 32hz with all of my other setups but my solo x dont like to slam the lows so im at 34hz now and it still gets most but not all

Solo X is more of an SPL sub. They didn't make it with the intention of it to sound beautiful and to pick up the lows. Same thing with the L7s. I love them both though :^