Good / Powerful Home Amps

I am making a crazy home setup... I am going to make a custom intertainment center, with two MTX 9500's 12's. I would like them both powered from one large amp, one preferably that looks like a car amp...

The Subs: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/t9500_sub.cfm

Do i need 4 ohm, or dual 4 ohm ones for the amp you recommend?

I am making a crazy home setup... I am going to make a custom intertainment center, with two MTX 9500's 12's. I would like them both powered from one large amp, one preferably that looks like a car amp...

The Subs: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/t9500_sub.cfm

Do i need 4 ohm, or dual 4 ohm ones for the amp you recommend?

Crazy home setups are my speciality. You have picked good woofers for the project. I have used them in home theaters many times with great results. Tuning your enclosure for home use is a little different than for a auto use,but we can get to that later.

I dont know of any large "car amps" for home use with 110volt power. I have used the Dayton Audio SA1000 from parts express a few times with good results. Its 4 ohm stable so you could use two of the woofers with the dual 4 ohm coils in series/parallel for a 4 ohm load.

If you do use this amp, I would recommend using 2 of them with the single voice coil 4ohm woofers. That would be a ton better.

There are alot of other higher end home amps that will do an even better job but, they are going to cost ALOT more. How much do you want to spend?

Check out my caraudio builds.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/72104-scary-truck-rebuild/

Check out our Custom Home Theater builds @

www.SoundAdviceUtah.com

Try a Behringer Europower EP4000. It'll do 2000 watts at 4 ohms mono. They run just under $400. Depending on your sub out voltage on your receiver you might need a line driver since this is a pro-audio amp. I have a Sony receiver, I had to use one to run my Behringer EP2500. You can use a Samson S-Convert, which is what I use. They're about $40.

Cheers

If you are looking for a loud system, then the drivers you have selected are more than adequate. However, they are far from a linear driver, and are terribly inefficient. These drivers would not be my first selection for a home theatre system.

Amplification wise, if you are looking for loud with a budget, may I suggest the Peavey PV3800, the aforementioned Behringer amplifiers, QSC RMX or PLII. I have a review posted in this section regarding the PV3800. If you would like accurate reproduction of sound, may I suggest the Crown CE, MacroTech, Com-tech or QSC MX series.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived