Sonic Electronix

Preamp output questions. I think I have my amp set up wrong.

Hmm thats weird because all the expensive decks put out 4v - 8v. And my 8v set on the amp is loud as hell. Maybe theres bairly any bass at 2v because I have to turn my gain up to compensate from the 8v it was on.. because I have it on 8v with a low gain, 2v with a higher gain would prob compensate.. IDK

The reason I never knew this is because 90% of the damn gain tuning guides dont say anything about the gain volts! They need to update this before people blow there subs like I did. My system sounds clean because my gain is only 1/4th on due to break in on my new cvr subs even on 8v with the 2v deck

the gain knob is there so you can match the amps input voltage to the headunits output voltage. 2v on the headunit and 2v on the amp = full power that that amp will output simply.

again from what ive been told and what i have experienced, .2v is loudest and 8v is quietest. with a headunit that has .2v preouts, the amp needs to boost the signal alot more than it does as opposed to 8v preouts, because the signal is just so much stronger.

why should they change the guide because one person is having trouble and thousands of people have had success with it? (like me) oh and playing your subs quieter will just only make it take longer for the subs to break in rather than playing them at regular power. theres certain times where you have to, such as with Audioque woofers and DD woofers and a bunch more of the "spl" woofers since the suspension is so tight

the gain knob is there so you can match the amps input voltage to the headunits output voltage. 2v on the headunit and 2v on the amp = full power that that amp will output simply.

again from what ive been told and what i have experienced, .2v is loudest and 8v is quietest. with a headunit that has .2v preouts, the amp needs to boost the signal alot more than it does as opposed to 8v preouts, because the signal is just so much stronger.

why should they change the guide because one person is having trouble and thousands of people have had success with it? (like me) oh and playing your subs quieter will just only make it take longer for the subs to break in rather than playing them at regular power. theres certain times where you have to, such as with Audioque woofers and DD woofers and a bunch more of the "spl" woofers since the suspension is so tight

Did not know this. I wasn't talking about smd guides. I was referring to youtube videos/other websites I have been reading my whole life. And not 1 mentioned matching up your volts to your deck. Even the instructions on products dont tell this clearly. Thanks for all the info people!

When I get my hcca's and everything this summer I will be upgrading the deck to a 5v eclipse - 8v deck.

Did not know this. I wasn't talking about smd guides. I was referring to youtube videos/other websites I have been reading my whole life. And not 1 mentioned matching up your volts to your deck. Even the instructions on products dont tell this clearly. Thanks for all the info people!

When I get my hcca's and everything this summer I will be upgrading the deck to a 5v eclipse - 8v deck.

because the guides that come with amps and crap are meant for "noobs" (aka people that dont have the knowledge like us here at SMD) so they can tune their gains, or attempt to

the guide that i was talking about was this one. i thought this was the one you used.

rmschartpm5.jpg

edit: wtf do you mean by 5v eclipse 8v deck? a deck is another word for a headunit so idk how it can have 2 different voltages

Theres decks/headunits that are 2v 4v 5v and 8v preamp outputs. I want to get a higher one.

Btw I just clicked it down to 2v and retuned and even gave it more/less gain more bass on the headunit etc.. And its still about 1/4 as loud as it was on 8v. Subs bairly move.. Idk what im doing wrong. I think this amp puts out all the rms at 8v or am I just dumb?

Theres decks/headunits that are 2v 4v 5v and 8v preamp outputs. I want to get a higher one.

Btw I just clicked it down to 2v and retuned and even gave it more/less gain more bass on the headunit etc.. And its still about 1/4 as loud as it was on 8v. Subs bairly move.. Idk what im doing wrong. I think this amp puts out all the rms at 8v or am I just dumb?

thats impossible. every headunit is different, and gives out a different signal strength. thats why the gain KNOB is there, if it was meant to stay in 1 point they wouldnt have it. like i said, some headunits have a sub level control

thats impossible. every headunit is different, and gives out a different signal strength. thats why the gain KNOB is there, if it was meant to stay in 1 point they wouldnt have it. like i said, some headunits have a sub level control

I did the sub level control, even all the way up. I tried everything to get those subs to budge and there not even loud when the gain volt is on 2v. I put the gain up/down etc.. and nothing. Did all the lower level frequencys.. nothing.

My link

This is what my instructions say for the amp

Selecting input voltage

APX and DPX amplifiers accommodate a wide range of signal input voltages (0.2V

to 8V). This wide range is split up into three ranges, which are accessible through

switches located in the Gain area of the amplifier.

0.2V-0.6V selects an input sensitivity range between 200mV and 600mV.

0.6-2V selects an input sensitivity range between 600mV and 2V.

2V-8V selects an input sensitivity range between 2V and 8V.

The gain rotary control operates within these voltage windows.

Note:

Most decks, even 4V and 5V units do not operate at full output voltage.

This requires the switch to be set in the 0.6-2V range.

Setting the operating level

The gain switches allow you to set the nominal operating level of the amplifier from

0.2 to 8V for RCA inputs or 500mV to 5V for speaker level inputs. This wide adjustment

range accommodates virtually any source unit brand.

Once you set the correct range using the IVS, you must adjust the gain to match the

amplifiers sensitivity to that of the source unit. The gain control is not a volume control.

It exists only to allow an amplifier to be used with different models and brands of

head units.

Link: page 8 dpx11551 1550rms at 14.4v

okay.. i'm thinking the gain knob isn't labeled in volts. I think it's just labeled for point of reference.

if you're looking at the amp case at the knob, going clockwise, do the numbers start low and get higher? or start high and get lower?

usually they start high and go lower...like... if it starts at 8 (all the way down) and goes to 2 (all the way up) it is because with an 8v preout you would need very little or no gain on the amp to make RMS power. if you had 2v preout, you would need lots of gain on the amp to it to make it's RMS power.

I think yours is just labeled for reference. then numbers don't mean anything, other than to help you remember where you set it to.

EDIT: and I see your amp has switches for setting the correct gain.. I think it needs to be in the middle position... 0.6-2v... then use the knob to set the gain.

then heres your next step, follow the instructions in the picture i gave in post 13.

find the rms level that your amp puts out at X ohms then follow the steps. find 0db tones at http://realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm . dont bother doing that 1550rms thing, just round the number off to like 1400 or something so you have headroom for clean power (trust me you wont notice a difference with 100w).

clarion makes gain setting way more difficult than it actually is. the only 3 knobs you need on an amp is gain, low pass filter, and subsonic. thats it. idk why the hell companies add all this crap to their amps to make it do the exact same thing but make it harder. /rant

Oops. I think I may have been wrong. Here is the picture of my amp and the switch next to the gain (input sensitivity) I was talking about, I thought it said 8v 4v 2v on the switch because my amp is tucked away on one side of the truck that I cannot see without a bright flashlight. What are they talking about 8v for in the instructions. There is no 8v or 4v that I can see. When I put that switch all the way to the right I have bairly any bass. But when all the way to the left. I have tons and more from the gain dial to tune it correctly. This switch is what I was talking about. What do I put this switch too? All the way to the left is loud and to the right is quieter

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/twiztidlotus83/dpx11551.jpg

And yea I was going to round it down to 1300 rms because my volts drop down to an avg 12.5 on hard hits.

HAHA you were right about .2 being louder. Wow Idk where I got my info from.. prob the back side of my no good brain or something. So I put the switch back to where it was? since my deck is 2v?

Archived