7 year freshen up on my house speakers.

I didn't actually plan on making a thread about this but hey why not.

Since this was not planned you won't really get to see everything from taking the shit out of the boxes or how dirty they were.

The amount of smoke and dirt build up and nicks and scratches. I just sanded them down real well.

The changes that were made;

A real bi-ampable terminal cup so I can cut the woofers off when I need too.

All new wire.

I soldered all my connections on everything.

Changed my crossover point on my woofers from 250 to 350 hertz 6db slope.

Upgraded my woofer from the 2003 Kicker Comp to the 2010 Kicker Comp. This was a good idea, more output with the same amount of power and they handle a lot more power than the old ones and sound great and are quite accurate.

Tried out my 150 dollar a piece Morel mids and found out I like my cheaper Morels better, confused on that one.

On to pics.

The old woofer.

Homespeaker.jpg

The only pic I have of them torn apart before I took the sander to them.

IMG_2858.jpg

I have never used a bread board before so my crossovers are hard wired and all soldered connections.

My high pass crossover, 12db slope at 2,500 hertz with a way to adjust its output.

IMG_2921.jpg

I forgot to mention that my midrange woofer is sealed off from the rest of the cabinent.

IMG_2922.jpg

Solder my lowpass coil. I like Jantzen for my coils.

IMG_2923.jpg

And soldering everything to the terminal cup.

IMG_2924.jpg

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Stuffing mmmm stuffing!

IMG_2925.jpg

All put back together.

IMG_2926.jpg

I really like the new Kicker Comp a lot. The 2010 Comp has great output, sounds really good, and is built strong as hell.

The terminal cup.

IMG_2927.jpg

Last my listening test after I put 20 hours of break in at 20 hertz on my new Comps since they won't beable to get played at a volume high enough to get broken in.

After my listening test I was thrilled and the thing that excited me most was that I could play these with all EQing off.

They sound great flat and that made my day.

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

cool stuff, ive always wanted to make my own crossovers

Thanks Decaf. I'll tell you what, I let building crossover intimadate (can't spell again) me for ever but once I got to messing with it I found out how simple they are.

Terryswork001.png

damn looks really nice. i wish i new how to build my own cross overs

Thanks man.

Just pick you up a book or download a chart that tells you what caps and what coils you need and just remember that you reverse the polarity on the 12db and 24db crossovers.

I promise you that once you figure it out, you will realize how easy it is. At some point it will just click and you will get it.

Terryswork001.png

Thanks man.

Just pick you up a book or download a chart that tells you what caps and what coils you need and just remember that you reverse the polarity on the 12db and 24db crossovers.

I promise you that once you figure it out, you will realize how easy it is. At some point it will just click and you will get it.

hmmmm something new for me to research

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

hmmmm something new for me to research

Ya man I'm really happy that I built my own speakers. The cost can be high but in the end it has been worth it.

The best place to start is to get you at least one Parts Express catalog into your book collection. Its a really good catalog and its free.

Call 1-800-338-0531 or go to www.parts-express.com and get you a free catalog and they even have the start of a selection chart in the book itself for crossover components.

Terryswork001.png

thanks for doing that iso. im at the starting point right now of trying to figure out ok this here, that here, blah blah blah.after seein a freind of mines 32" and steves 40" monitors, it inspired me to do something for my gaming set up.its to bulky for the room its in.her is a pic

0330001755.jpg

parts express catalog is great. whole section on speaker building.

sony m60ui

polk mid/hi's

infinity 6000m on tower

fosgate p3d212 x2

fosgate p400-4

fosgate t1000-1bd

im ona boat bitch

My boat build

funny thing is...............slamming fireworks in to the ground with a sledge hammer in mexico is like car audio in california... everyone is doing it but most fail :)

Every time I read a comment you post, or a topic you make... I cannot help to think of how much of a badass you are!!

I can't speak for the others but doing stuff like that is how I got started.

Keep it up. :good:

Raytard and a few others have some neat home projects to check out too.

Terryswork001.png

Archived