Second Skin Audio

what happens when to much air space

it started out at 30hz. idk why that low i guess just because i could and never went below 35 on one i built before. so i should decrease the size of the box huh. i'll chop off some and get it down to about .75ft3 at what hz? is 28 to low? oh for the sub itself duh. i was thinking rap when i built it. not what can the sub handle. oops. got some numbers to crunch.

it sounds okay off my home stereo. just gets weird at high volume. i thought it was just the radio though. <50watts. and maybe clipping bad.

I was thinking backwards on efficiency. more means less watts needed... sorry.. Thanks for the info.

i'll digi it tomorrow. i'm to tired to go find it tonight. i should have checked it while i had it in the shop earlier but i was to focused on screwing in screws to think. lol

i just want my girl to have a decent sounding box in her little kia. she don't like my truck it's too loud 145db. at 40hz. 8)

JVC AVX-44 and 360.2

Subs: 2 RF T1 12s 1ohm mono off a RF T1500bdcp 80hz \/ in a 2.3cube 45hz slot port

Mids: 2 O2 8's off a Punch 550.2 behind seat, 2 Image Cxs 6.5's and 2 ID XS 6x9s 80-3khz in doors on a T600.2

Highs: 2 ID CD.1 MH HLCD 8ohm off a RF 400.4 3khz /\

unless she has a hatchback, you're not going to hear it....atleast in my experience, anything less than a 12 with 300 watts is almost imperceptable, even against a stock radio and speakers, if its in the trunk. i know my decent 8 ( a vega!84) in a tline in the backseat was damn near nothing compared to the 600watts of highs in my front doors...IMO just give her something a little more than she needs and tune it down a bit, rather than give her soemthing small that ends up being too small.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

i re did the math. as it sits it's .82ft3 at 28.64hz. idk why i thought .98ft??? but all i need to do is add .12 ft of wood to the inside(triple the lid(so i can take it back out when she gets a real 8 if i need to) and get it to .7ft at 30hz and i think that 300.2 is all she'll need for now. it's a 6ohm sub(DVC go figure right!!!) but i think she'll end up with 100ish watts on it which is fine for now cuz it's all free and i have invested is a $1 bottle of construction adhesive and 3hours worth of build time. later i'm going to buy her a sundown or something and put atleast a 500-700watt amp on it. then she'll in there like swim wear up a fat chicks crack.....;)

it's a Kia Sportage mini suv so she'll be able to at least think she hears bass... i want one kinda so i can bag it and lay it on the doors. it's really cute for her first ride.

I'll post a vid of it once i vynyl it. (not embarrassing myself showing the bare wood on here) :) it's just plywood not mdf but it was in the barn(my new shop) when i cleaned it out.

my next project is a box for a 4" and 3.5" sub from a creative and logitec computer system and tune it to 45hz at .5ft3 to replace the 8" i won't have. (down grade for me)

hahaha. true.

i say try it out. learning experience!

that's what life is a learning experience and i try to learn something new everyday so i don't feel like i'm wasting my life. Edited by JMZNeal

JVC AVX-44 and 360.2

Subs: 2 RF T1 12s 1ohm mono off a RF T1500bdcp 80hz \/ in a 2.3cube 45hz slot port

Mids: 2 O2 8's off a Punch 550.2 behind seat, 2 Image Cxs 6.5's and 2 ID XS 6x9s 80-3khz in doors on a T600.2

Highs: 2 ID CD.1 MH HLCD 8ohm off a RF 400.4 3khz /\