Second Skin Audio

playing subs with...

Wasnt sure wher to put this but this seemed to make sense. I've seen people do it but heard it was bad. Is it bad to play the subs with the back door open? I've sen Steve and other people do it but doesnt it make your subs bottom out? Just curious cause i dont want to mess anything up. People always try and open the back door while i'm beatin down and I always stop them. But anyways subs are up port is facing back so let me know what you think/know. Like the second option better though.

12 RE audio X series 12's

4 gauge wiring to back batt (soon to be 0 gauge)

0 gauge from batt to amp

kinetik 1800 in back

clarion cx-200 HU

SPL 3000 wired at 2 ohms

8 Re 6.5 full range speakers

Re Xt 800.4 4 channel amplifier

Autopager car alarm

I can assure you with 100% accuracy that opening your back doors will not damage anything in any way...

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

even with allot of port area and full power? It just seems like it would let all the air directly out of the box releasing preassure and causing the subs to be as if hey were free air.

0 gauge from batt to amp

kinetik 1800 in back

clarion cx-200 HU

SPL 3000 wired at 2 ohms

Autopager car alarm

It's true it will change the acoustic loading of the system, and you can verify this by listening. You should hear a large difference in output.

Most setups won't be affected by this enough to cause damage, but if you're already pushing the subs close to their mechanical limits it's quite possible to drive them to an over-excursion situation by removing anything the subs are loading off of. (doors, walls, port, etc...) You'll sometimes see this in the SPL world with loading walls and uneven sub placement, too much airspace sometimes causes the subs to fail.

Just pay attention to your excursion and how the subs are sounding. Also raising your subsonic filter could help in this situation.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

i can open all the doors and windows and it sounds ine but i dont even want to try it and accidently mess something up.

0 gauge from batt to amp

kinetik 1800 in back

clarion cx-200 HU

SPL 3000 wired at 2 ohms

Autopager car alarm

Archived