Sonic Electronix

Ive never built a box before. Its for two Orion XTR3 15's (svc) and an Alpine MRP-500. Its wired to 2ohms getting 250rms per sub. (until I upgrade) I have litterely no idea where to begin or what to buy or anything. My girlfriends father is going to help me build, he has pretty general knowledge on woodwork and things like that. These speakers are over 10 years old and are currently in a sealed box, couldnt tell you anything at all about the box, they were my brothers and he traded his subs for them a long long time ago. They hit really hard for only getting 500 watts but I feel like I could get more out of them with a ported box and a 1000w amp which is coming eventually.

its for a 2002 ford explorer with the third row down. heres the specs for the subs. They are the 15 svc/dvc

picture1flf.png

All I know is I want ported. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

so your asking for a design or just tips?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

alright here is what i would do. take the specs that you have and use them to calculate the box how much space do you have to use. Once you know that go to the rockfordfosgate site and just pick out and sub and then use the tabs on the site to get you to the box wizardand then you can start throwing number together to get the dimensions of the box just remember that when you are calculating the box that you account for the displacement of the woofer and the port as well and any bracing tha tyou may need. if your going to go with a simple rectangle or square box you can just use this (measurements in inches) L x W x H=.....and then divide that 1728 and it will give the the aound of space in ft3

and for calculating the port just use google and search for some port calculators and you will be set to go. As for materials 3/4 MDF for the box itself, wood glue, and lots of screws. To make box really solid use fiberglass mat 29 oz and resin to make it solid. Also dont forget that when you are doing this the smoother you can make the port and the box the better it will sound. 45 all internal angles that will help and then router all corners on port or 45 inside corners. the smoother the better. and dont be afraid to mess up we all did when we started making boxes and every now and then i still do. I hope this helped if you have any more questions just message and ask ill help you all that i can.

so your asking for a design or just tips?

Anything would help, both would be best but anything anyone could offer would be great.

Oh I forgot to mention, I fired these up in the sealed box once and they werent half as loud as they were firing back. dont know if that makes any difference.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

alright here is what i would do. take the specs that you have and use them to calculate the box how much space do you have to use. Once you know that go to the rockfordfosgate site and just pick out and sub and then use the tabs on the site to get you to the box wizardand then you can start throwing number together to get the dimensions of the box just remember that when you are calculating the box that you account for the displacement of the woofer and the port as well and any bracing tha tyou may need. if your going to go with a simple rectangle or square box you can just use this (measurements in inches) L x W x H=.....and then divide that 1728 and it will give the the aound of space in ft3

and for calculating the port just use google and search for some port calculators and you will be set to go. As for materials 3/4 MDF for the box itself, wood glue, and lots of screws. To make box really solid use fiberglass mat 29 oz and resin to make it solid. Also dont forget that when you are doing this the smoother you can make the port and the box the better it will sound. 45 all internal angles that will help and then router all corners on port or 45 inside corners. the smoother the better. and dont be afraid to mess up we all did when we started making boxes and every now and then i still do. I hope this helped if you have any more questions just message and ask ill help you all that i can.

This is great, Im not building it just yet but within the next 2 months. How much am I looking at with everything would you think? minus all the power tools.

I have 34L 45W 19H... I can go higher on height but Id rather not cover my rear window

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

hahah with those numbers that you just gave me your looking at 16.82 ft3 that enough for at least 2 18 AA/SMD try toning it down a little lol remember your only going to need about half of that ..and as for price of supplies i have no idea because i kinda live in what you call a ski resort in the middle of nowhere so everyhitng is more expensive for me but for a sheet of 3/4 mdf your looking at approx 35 dollars. and resin and fiberglass that all depends on how much you will use and what you do use like mat weight and everything..

hahah with those numbers that you just gave me your looking at 16.82 ft3 that enough for at least 2 18 AA/SMD try toning it down a little lol remember your only going to need about half of that ..and as for price of supplies i have no idea because i kinda live in what you call a ski resort in the middle of nowhere so everyhitng is more expensive for me but for a sheet of 3/4 mdf your looking at approx 35 dollars. and resin and fiberglass that all depends on how much you will use and what you do use like mat weight and everything..

haha sorry, I just ran out and measure the amount of space I had to work with, I though thats what I was supposed to do.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

haha sorry, I just ran out and measure the amount of space I had to work with, I though thats what I was supposed to do.

haha yeah you were sorry my mistake on that one there but you have plenty of space you could probably get away with keeping your other seats up and sitll have the space to build it your will only need about 8 ft3 probable do you know how much space the woofer displaces and also did you want to do a slot port for them or aero and also do you want them to each be in their own box or one big box??

• 3 weeks later...

Change of plans, going sealed instead of ported and I Just bought two Powerbass M154's. Each speaker needs at least 3.75 cu ft internal volume, So I would be looking at at least an 8cu ft box correct?

So far the dims I came up with on the rockford box builder are h20 x w35 x d24 = 8.07 cu ft, Now am I supposed to multiply all those numbers and divide by 1728? That comes out to 16,800/1728 = 9.72, Now I dont understand what to do next, what does 9.72 mean?

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB