Headunit Installation Help

im trying to install a headunit into a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited and im having some issues. i bought the harness for it and just sorta started color matched the wires hopefully thats right. it has the infinity gold system stock so it has a stock amp apart from the stock radio. i was lookin on installdr.com for my car and they said if it came with that system then plug the ground of the new headunit into the ground of the stock amplifier and it should kick on the stock amplifier but nothing happened. the headunit itself powers on and does everything just theres no sound coming out. when i plug back in the stock headunit the sound kicks on. what am i doing wrong here? i crimped on a connector to the new headunits ground and plugged it into the stock amp ground that was previously connected to the stock radio and it didnt kick on... i am really confused as to why theres no sound coming out. its really dark outside so i will try to mess with it again tomorrow but the only wires i did not connect or color match are the ground from the harness, illumnation dash light from the harness, and power antenna from the harness. im not sure if im suppose to have the remote amp turn on lead from the harness hooked up the remote turn on lead from the headunit but i do.

power antenna and dash illumination are normally ignored. you have to make sure your remote wire is connected though that tells the stock amp to turn on. That might take some trial and error...I know on my car I had to connect my remote to two different wires, not including my amps. Just keep messing with it, stock systems are a bitch.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

Archived