Sonic Electronix

Anyone out there have personal experience with an 18 firing up port in cab in a trunk? I'm like | | < that close to buying a lvl 4xl but I'm afraid of the set up sounding funky with the sub firing up in the trunk.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

You'll waste too much energy rattling your trunk, sub out port out best set up for usage of your back seat. If you don't care about your seat fire it into the cabin.

I'm not sure if I'm getting what you're saying, but my seats will always be down while playing, and the problem with me firing the sub into the cab with the port is I'd have to angle the baffle like a truck box, and I've never done anything like that and I don't know if it'll fit.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

you could do what i did and cut up the rear deck and fire the sub and port forward.

Maybe if my car was an 89 and not a 99, it's still too damn pretty to do stuff like that to it, I like that first box in your build log though thats kinda like what I'm talking about, only more like steve's old civic build but with the port where the subs are and the sub in the back, and I for sure have to build from inside my trunk, anyone gunna tell me its a bad idea? I really don't want to try anything else unless someone has a really easy way of going about it.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

Maybe if my car was an 89 and not a 99, it's still too damn pretty to do stuff like that to it, I like that first box in your build log though thats kinda like what I'm talking about, only more like steve's old civic build but with the port where the subs are and the sub in the back, and I for sure have to build from inside my trunk, anyone gunna tell me its a bad idea? I really don't want to try anything else unless someone has a really easy way of going about it.

I dont like building something in my car because you have to break it apart to try something else, and cant reuse it. a 99 is pretty old nowadays, haha jk. but your can cut it up without hurting much of the car, Im not sure about your car but most of the back of mine unbolts, except for the actual rear deck, and most of that was just spot welded on. all you need to do to cut it up is mark where you want to cut, clear out all the wires and cut from the bottom. Then for mine it wasnt sure how much rigidity the rear deck added to the car so i added some bracing. about 15 or 20 dollars of metal bar from lowes, a few bolts, and a tap, and i had my rear bracing. and i just unbolt it all to install bigger boxes, then bolt it back together, then put the stock rear deck cover over it and its not really even noticable that its cut.

if you really want to keep from cutting, look at my second to last box with the single 15, painted black with the ports on each side. I made the box about 2 or 3 inches deeper than the subs depth to keep from being too close to the trunk lid, and to allow it to slide in the trunk. You could do one like that for an 18. Make it just a little taller than the sub is deep, and the widest and longest that will fit in your trunk. have the sub facing up all the way on the drivers side, and the port forward on the passenger side,(if you like to compete then you could switch the sides of the port and sub to get better numbers).

What kind of car is it?

I dont like building something in my car because you have to break it apart to try something else, and cant reuse it. a 99 is pretty old nowadays, haha jk. but your can cut it up without hurting much of the car, Im not sure about your car but most of the back of mine unbolts, except for the actual rear deck, and most of that was just spot welded on. all you need to do to cut it up is mark where you want to cut, clear out all the wires and cut from the bottom. Then for mine it wasnt sure how much rigidity the rear deck added to the car so i added some bracing. about 15 or 20 dollars of metal bar from lowes, a few bolts, and a tap, and i had my rear bracing. and i just unbolt it all to install bigger boxes, then bolt it back together, then put the stock rear deck cover over it and its not really even noticable that its cut.

if you really want to keep from cutting, look at my second to last box with the single 15, painted black with the ports on each side. I made the box about 2 or 3 inches deeper than the subs depth to keep from being too close to the trunk lid, and to allow it to slide in the trunk. You could do one like that for an 18. Make it just a little taller than the sub is deep, and the widest and longest that will fit in your trunk. have the sub facing up all the way on the drivers side, and the port forward on the passenger side,(if you like to compete then you could switch the sides of the port and sub to get better numbers).

What kind of car is it?

It's a mazda protege, The deck is stupid, it comes down like an extra 3 or so inches at the front, and I have to build it inside because I'm looking for 7cubes and the biggest I can force through my trunk lid is around 5 cubs after dis, so maybe 5.5.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

Archived