Second Skin Audio

Tc Sounds New Comp Sub

Eric B

hmmm....

looks like a huge home speaker cause of the surround...

Actually, cloth accordion style surrounds are absolutely wonderful for spl! they help raise the fs of the driver, they are light and durable...(btw- dont be surprised if thta is not the final cone for the top assembly;)) Also- i personally like the gauruntee they have with it.. (drop it in vs. any other speaker you own, and it will be louder or you get it free) not to bad, eh?:)

im banned because im a jackass....WOOT

Introducing the 18" TC Comp Kit

The new top assembly modification pulls around 94dB at 1 watt with its big 4" "short throw" voice coil. Qts lands around 0.128 and its motor begs for a high voltage amp.

BL^2/Re is 430 N^2/W and the top assembly is replaceable with any 4HP motor, but ideally the 5200 motor which has the shorting ring to prevent flux modulation which will reduce your SPL under heavy loads where the electro-magnetic field generated by the voice coil counter acts with the magnetic field of the magnet and offsets your voice coil center. Flux modulations are an SPL killer and this is the first dedicated SPL driver to explicitly tackle this problem without saturating the t-yoke.

The cone is our new composite Rohacell core with fiber glass laminated and pressed epoxy concoction. Its remarkably durable and the core can only be bought form Germany. The cone is lighter than paper and stiffer than metal, yet you can stand on the bare cone without it cracking or breaking! It is very $$$...

We throw a quad spider on there so it will last longer under the required stress. We also have the clearance to use spacers in between each of the four spiders so we can have true separated and mirrored spiders...none of that stacked spider business. We also beefed up the leads on the spiders to prevent burn through, but we did that for all drivers too as of late. The quad coils are least affected because they have 4 sets of wires crossing the leads. The idea was durability here...

We went with the standard gap so it could be versatile with the full range TC-5200/4HP but we were able to get even more BL from the 4HP with the shorter vc (less resistance)

We also used our FEA'ed high excursion treated cloth pro surround which is very light! This thing should put up record numbers. The surround is perfect for SPL, very light, lighter and more durable than foam. It is also stitched right into the cone and then glued so it will never separated or cause delamination.

The voice coil is quad 0.75 ohm and can be wired all the way down to 0.1875 (quarter ohm nominal for max amplifier abuse) or you can run a 1 ohm nominal load or a 4 ohm load.

This is for SPL only, if you're doing full range bass (ie bass below 40Hz) then stick with the standard 5200, but if you're into competition, the 4HP has never been fitted with a higher performance top assembly before!

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

looks like a bad ass speaker... Yeah, dont be fooled with accordian style surrounds, they dont last as long as rubber, but are lighter than rubber and foam, wich raises efficiency- Visitor said it all up there

I have tested some subs of that style before myself, they work great

I love that tall 3 ring stacked spider spacer assembly

alot of spiders spaced out equals extremly good cone control, while keeping VC gap super tight, with less rubbing on the top plate

in other words, looks reliable, ballsy, and clean, oh yeah, a QTS of 0.12## is insane

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

so basically your saying its not a daily driver sub and the loudest ever ?

"Best ever" is a bold claim that can not be thrown out without sounding foolish, BUT I would say, based on the guarantee that is offered, TC sounds is fairly confident in there new top assembly. as for using it daily? I would absolutely NOT use them daily. its not what they are designed for, and there is far better subs out there for that purpose (I personally use tc5200's daily, I will be using the comp top assemblies for spl competitions:))

As far as cloth not being as durable as rubber- while that may be true, it is MUCH heavier than the cloth (cloth is also lighter than foam), which will bring the sensitivity (and FS) down. Not good at all for spl.:)

and the multiple spiders is a good thing for keeping the coil aligned, cone control as forevrbumpn said. It will, however limit the xmax to an extent (but, contrary to popular belief, x-max is not extremely important for pure spl purposes. actually, you want the driver to move as little as possible at tuning):)

EDIT: just realized i typed nearly the same thing twice.. sorry, Ive been up all night:(

im banned because im a jackass....WOOT

Archived