Sonic Electronix

Ok this is probably a stupid question. Something I have read on a few different web sites mentioned that depending on where you mount a sub on an enclosure in relation to the port location can affect performance due to the sound waves being out of phase between the port and sub even if they are on the same side of the enclosure. Is this true? If it is, how do you determine where to mount the sub? I'm going to build an enclosure with a slot loaded port and was just curious about this because I have built a ton of enclosures but never heard of this. I would hate to spend a bunch of time on an enclosure knowing that improper speaker placement could hurt the performance.

Ok this is probably a stupid question. Something I have read on a few different web sites mentioned that depending on where you mount a sub on an enclosure in relation to the port location can affect performance due to the sound waves being out of phase between the port and sub even if they are on the same side of the enclosure. Is this true? If it is, how do you determine where to mount the sub? I'm going to build an enclosure with a slot loaded port and was just curious about this because I have built a ton of enclosures but never heard of this. I would hate to spend a bunch of time on an enclosure knowing that improper speaker placement could hurt the performance.

yeah you do know that the lower the frequency the larger the wave right?

so when you're talking about subwoofers and their normal usage range, (say 20 to 80 hz for arguments sake) all those sound waves are actually larger then the enclosure itself anyways...

the biggest thing to think about is air flow. get it out cleanly and don't make it fight itself and you'll be fine.

Archived