nah, i was going to trade my desktop for the laptop, but i didnt want to get rid of my desktop, i jsut wanted a laptop, well i found one locally. This is my quote from my gaming clans forum..

I bought it for $100 in as is condition. I formatted, and reset the bios, and its good to go. It does need a new battery though. this one will not stay charged.

Acer Aspire 3500

1.4Ghz

512MB Ram (Uping to 2GB)

40GB HDD (Uping to 100gb or more)

64MB Video ram (Should be able to dedicate more after ram upgrade.)

15" screen

Wireless

Bluetooth

CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Pics...

Formatting

bibbz338.jpg

Sitting on the cooler on my desk.

bibbz340.jpg

Closed

bibbz341.jpg

Acer FTW

bibbz342.jpg

My setup. Yes, there are 2 speakers, and they are both hooked up to my desktop/surround sound for tv and gettin ~100w a piece. The actual desk layout is going to change soon.

bibbz339.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bibby sorry I didn't get to this thread on time, but I too would have encouraged you to go with the duo. But it looks like your plans have changed...lol

Well for what it's worth, I'll still give you a little explanation of how a multi-threaded application takes advantage of 2 or more processors. You know, just for the sake of knowledge.

Usually in an application or a program, the subroutines (blocks of code) are executed sequentially. This means that the processor will execute code one line at a time or one operation at a time. Bottom line is only one thing can be done at a time. So to be realistic multi-tasking on your computer with a single-core chip doesn't really happen. It just seems like many things are happening at once because the processor is extremely fast at what it does. Intel implemented a technique called "Hyper-threading" with it's older Pentium chips. With Windows XP and a hyper-threaded chip, it was possible to 'simulate' dual processing by having some sort of parallelism within the chip. Now let's be clear, Hyper-threading is not a type of processor, but merely a technique which is trademarked by Intel.

Purists feel that the hyper-threaded processor is not really the real thing. The are right to a certain extent, but that's not the case here.

When a program is optimized for 2 or more processors, it is said to be multi-threaded. This simply means that the program is written (or revised) in such a way that tasks can be assigned to different processors and have them worked on simultaneously. This is where dual-core processors take the cake. Since they have more processing engines, the can cut the time needed to complete the assignment in almost half. So you will find that a 1.6 Ghz dual core processor can easily out pace a 2.0 Ghz processor in a multi-threaded application.

But what happens when you have a regular program running on a dual-core processor? Well, it only uses one core. Simple as that. Unfortunately, things can only go as fast as that one core. The good thing about that is you have another core to play with. It can be used for other things like the OS, music etc etc.

Bottom line is things usually almost always run smoother (but not necessarily faster), in a dual core environment against a single-core environment.

I really hope this helps. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

why say that without adlibing a bit?

lol..sorry bout that. But, as James pointed out efficiency has everything to do with how much heat a processor dissipates. Having

a dual core (or even quad-core) processor doesn't mean that the temperature envelope willl increase. There are mechanisms that are put

in place to combat heat. For example AMD's "Cool N Quiet" which throttles a processor, when its not being used as much, in order to draw less power

and produce less heat. The other thing is the structure of the chip has a lot to do with it. If you remember Intel's Prescott chip, you'll know that that was

just a hot chip. Period. Simply because of its design. This is why Intel and AMD are trying as hard as they can to shrink the chips. With Intel's upcoming 45 nm process,

there will be less electron leakage and such. Furthermore, the cost of making a chip will be less AND it can have more performance benefits.

Hope this helped man

damn i didnt understand a single word on this thread, and im going to college as a computer major looks like im in trouble :blink:

Edited by Mastersound15

2007 Pontiac G6 on 20's

Current System-

Jensen VM-9312 in-dash

(1) Kicker 1500.1

(2) DD 1500 Series 12's

Running Knu Koncepts 1/0 wiring

145.6db- Floorboard

162.9db- Port

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1983 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon (SPL Vehicle)

(Under Reconstruction)

damn i didnt understand a single word on this thread, and im going to college as a computer major looks like im in trouble :blink:

lol...if it's any consolation 80% of what you will learn-you will not learn @ college. Never let school get in the way of your education

lol...if it's any consolation 80% of what you will learn-you will not learn @ college. Never let school get in the way of your education

?????????????????????????

2007 Pontiac G6 on 20's

Current System-

Jensen VM-9312 in-dash

(1) Kicker 1500.1

(2) DD 1500 Series 12's

Running Knu Koncepts 1/0 wiring

145.6db- Floorboard

162.9db- Port

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1983 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon (SPL Vehicle)

(Under Reconstruction)