anyone know about prochargers ? NEED ADVICE !

just bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 pick up yesterday . it has a 318ci and a full intercooled P-1SC procharger on it . truck runs good , but "sometimes" it acts like its loading up or (flooding) and has NO power , but if i punch it it wakes up and puts me back in the seat . any ideas on that ? and heres a weird one . every video on you tube i seen with the SAME procharger , its whining like a biotch , but mine you can BARELY hear . especially at idle . the only real sound indication its supercharged is when i rev it and get off of it you can hear that " flutter " sound as the access boost is evacuating the system . anyone know why i have like the only procharger that doesnt have that sweet whine sound?

lack of oil? something blocking airflow?

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

just bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 pick up yesterday . it has a 318ci and a full intercooled P-1SC procharger on it . truck runs good , but "sometimes" it acts like its loading up or (flooding) and has NO power , but if i punch it it wakes up and puts me back in the seat . any ideas on that ? and heres a weird one . every video on you tube i seen with the SAME procharger , its whining like a biotch , but mine you can BARELY hear . especially at idle . the only real sound indication its supercharged is when i rev it and get off of it you can hear that " flutter " sound as the access boost is evacuating the system . anyone know why i have like the only procharger that doesnt have that sweet whine sound?

I can't answer your question about no power but the whining sound comes from air getting trapped between the belt and pulley. there are plenty of prochargers that don't make a sound. I've seen people drill holes in the pulley so it's stealth, the belt could be a little loose, or any number of things

lack of oil? something blocking airflow?

just went out and checked all vac lines / purge valve and fluids truck and the charger . everything is full and clean , no vac leaks , and as far as i can see no blockage in airflow. about the engine acting periodically think an o2 sensor could be causing that ?

I can't answer your question about no power but the whining sound comes from air getting trapped between the belt and pulley. there are plenty of prochargers that don't make a sound. I've seen people drill holes in the pulley so it's stealth, the belt could be a little loose, or any number of things

really ?!?! i thought the whining came from the gear mesh in the unit itself? thats crazy . but bare with me i have never owned a S/C motor before:)

really ?!?! i thought the whining came from the gear mesh in the unit itself? thats crazy . but bare with me i have never owned a S/C motor before:)

I thought so too until I watched my old auto teacher drill out his pulley on his supercharger and all noise went away. but that was with a different style supercharger so it could be different

actually, do you have a stock cat on there? it could be built up with carbon causing the exhaust flow to be restricted until you hammer it which will eventually be too much airflow for the build up to restrict

Edited by doug118

I thought so too until I watched my old auto teacher drill out his pulley on his supercharger and all noise went away. but that was with a different style supercharger so it could be different

actually, do you have a stock cat on there? it could be built up with carbon causing the exhaust flow to be restricted until you hammer it which will eventually be too much airflow for the build up to restrict

damn good point , it does have edlebrock headers , and 3 " duals , BUT ....... stock cat .. i know go figure . maybe the ole baseball bat trick or maybe just a nice peice of strait pipe is in order :D

depends where you live if your gonna straight pipe it if you're in cali or someplace that checks emissions i wouldnt straightpipe and you said everything was hooked up correct? because that could be another reason for no power if something is blocking it when you rev up it spins it giving the power and if its blocked until you rev it it wont have enough suction so there would be your low power. atleast thats how my understanding of how a super charger works

damn good point , it does have edlebrock headers , and 3 " duals , BUT ....... stock cat .. i know go figure . maybe the ole baseball bat trick or maybe just a nice peice of strait pipe is in order :D

don't ruin the stock cat just yet. if there is a muffler shop in your area have them make you a 3" straight pipe with 2 flanges so its a direct replacement of the cat. just incase you need the cat to be present for emissions reasons, you can just bolt the stock cat back up without having to cut away the new pipe

now that I think about it, replacing that cat with a straight piece of 3" piping should free up a BUNCH of power!

Edited by doug118