i was wondering if i put a glasspack muffler on my 97 monte carlo would it effect my mpg of the car because i drive almost a 100 miles a day for work so i dont want my mpg to go down less then it already is so if anyone can help me out or has an opinion on it thanks and its the 3.1 v6 engine

Edited by MONTECARLO138

i was wondering if i put a glasspack muffler on my 97 monte carlo would it effect my mpg of the car because i drive almost a 100 miles a day for work so i dont want my mpg to go down less then it already is so if anyone can help me out or has an opinion on it thanks and its the 3.1 v6 engine

Not quite sure of gas mileage effect, but I do know, you probably won't pass emissions because of the muffler. The muffler should actually give you "more" power, because it is less restrictive then the stock or dual chamber styles. Think of a motor as this: It's a big air pump. The more efficiently you can get air in, and out, the more power you will make. So, you will help the air (exhaust) get out easier.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

Not quite sure of gas mileage effect, but I do know, you probably won't pass emissions because of the muffler. The muffler should actually give you "more" power, because it is less restrictive then the stock or dual chamber styles. Think of a motor as this: It's a big air pump. The more efficiently you can get air in, and out, the more power you will make. So, you will help the air (exhaust) get out easier.

Technically any altercation to any part of the car shouldn't pass inspection. Even a ford racing muffler on a ford car (my buddy has a setup like that thats why i mention it) shouldn't pass. As for emissions, it all depends on the car. My toyota could drive around with like no muffler at all and it would pass (not really but damn near).

To op, if you want better gas mileage just maintain the car, give it a tune up, clean the injectors, add some fuel additives.

Driving 100 miles a day, you WILL REGRET a loud exhaust.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

well from what i asked my mechanic yesterday he said as long as i dont mess with the cat i will pass inspection and i already have a thrush muffler on now but i want louder so thats why i went with the glasspack and half the time i cant here the engine whenever the bass lines come in so, and had a tune up a few weeks ago then something in my ignition was shorting out my coils so replaced the same coil twice till they realized what was burning them out and thanks for all the help hopefully ill get to put it on this Saturday if im off work

i like bass and when im not listening to the radio i still like to hear something loud and don't really have anything performance wise to my car except cold air intake so and the glass pack was going on my friends truck but he decided to do a full straight pipe with i believe edelbrock header or something like that so free muffler why not use it rite?

• 4 weeks later...

i like bass and when im not listening to the radio i still like to hear something loud and don't really have anything performance wise to my car except cold air intake so and the glass pack was going on my friends truck but he decided to do a full straight pipe with i believe edelbrock header or something like that so free muffler why not use it rite?

rather than glasspack get a single chamber flowmaster, the outlaw 10 series, it'll be a throatier sound than a glasspack and louder, and if you already had an aftermarket muffler on there before (the thrush) then you wont be seeing a change in gas mileage, strictly sound

Edited by TahoeDD