Second Skin Audio

Fiberglassing

Currently, my box for two Fi BTL 18's is flexing a little bit in one area near my port.(I have bracing but no fiber glassing) I want to build a new enclosure in the near future and am a little confused with the steps of fiber glassing the inside of a box, I am not talking about fiber glassing a cloth on the outside. Do I just put the material in place and then resin over? Is their a certain caulk that I should use when using fiber glass? Can I paint over the fiberglass or do I need to apply something else? If someone could please answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it because I want to start building a newer stronger enclosure. Thanks Nate

x2! i need to know this as well

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

Currently, my box for two Fi BTL 18's is flexing a little bit in one area near my port.(I have bracing but no fiber glassing) I want to build a new enclosure in the near future and am a little confused with the steps of fiber glassing the inside of a box, I am not talking about fiber glassing a cloth on the outside. Do I just put the material in place and then resin over? Is their a certain caulk that I should use when using fiber glass? Can I paint over the fiberglass or do I need to apply something else? If someone could please answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it because I want to start building a newer stronger enclosure. Thanks Nate

Cut fiberglass into squares- it makes it easier to apply. Mix resin, spread on the inside of the enclosure. Put the mat over the wet resin. Put more resin over the cloth, and wait. you want to make sure the fiberglass is SOAKED for highest strength. And caulk? lol the resin will seal teh wood. As far as brands... any will do. the more expensive resins spread easier and stuff but the stuff from napa or other automotive stores works just as well.

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

Cut fiberglass into squares- it makes it easier to apply. Mix resin, spread on the inside of the enclosure. Put the mat over the wet resin. Put more resin over the cloth, and wait. you want to make sure the fiberglass is SOAKED for highest strength. And caulk? lol the resin will seal teh wood. As far as brands... any will do. the more expensive resins spread easier and stuff but the stuff from napa or other automotive stores works just as well.

using more resin WILL NOT make fiberglass stronger. the mat/cloth fibers in layers is what gives the glass its strength. you dont want to oversaturate.

as long as the glass adheres to the box well, theres no reason for it to break...unless you build the box too weak and theres a significant amount of flex with no strength to the glass; then I could see it cracking over time. but it has to be flexing pretty badly

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

using more resin WILL NOT make fiberglass stronger. the mat/cloth fibers in layers is what gives the glass its strength. you dont want to oversaturate.

as long as the glass adheres to the box well, theres no reason for it to break...unless you build the box too weak and theres a significant amount of flex with no strength to the glass; then I could see it cracking over time. but it has to be flexing pretty badly

lol no, too much resin will not add strength to fiberglass. BUT, any dry spots in glass will be weak spots. Seeing as how glass has a thickness and you really don't know how much resin penetration you have, its best to soak it, squeegee it, do whatever you have to make sure that the fiberglass is thoroughly wet. I use it in aviation to fix interior pieces and the number one problem we have is when people have dry spots in the glass. The fiberglass will not crack and blow out of the port. lol. Once its bonded to the wood its not going anywhere. The fiberglass to wood bond should be stronger than the wood to wood ones.

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

lol no, too much resin will not add strength to fiberglass. BUT, any dry spots in glass will be weak spots. Seeing as how glass has a thickness and you really don't know how much resin penetration you have, its best to soak it, squeegee it, do whatever you have to make sure that the fiberglass is thoroughly wet. I use it in aviation to fix interior pieces and the number one problem we have is when people have dry spots in the glass. The fiberglass will not crack and blow out of the port. lol. Once its bonded to the wood its not going anywhere. The fiberglass to wood bond should be stronger than the wood to wood ones.

thank you for proving my point :lol:

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco