Sundown Audio

Quick question on setting gains with DMM

feelthebass33

According to the RMS chart I need 51.something AC volts to get my 2700 @ 1 ohm. The gains are about half. The subs are laughing at the power. Question is if I turn it up past the said point, will I be producing more power, or just clipping the signal?

1994 Lincoln Town Car

Headunit: Pioneer Premier 510UB : 2 Powerbass AEQ-7X0 Eq's

Front Stage: 30 Mids/Highs off of a Kicker zx850.4 & Kicker kx600.4

Sub Stage: 4 18" DC Level 4s (w/ Level 5 coils) : 2 Mmats D3000.1s

Security: Autopage RS730

Electrical : 200 amp Powermaster Alt : MLA module : KnuKonceptz wiring : 6 Universal Battery UB12750's

Anyone? being that I don't have access to an o-scope is there no way of knowing?

1994 Lincoln Town Car

Electrical : 200 amp Powermaster Alt : MLA module : KnuKonceptz wiring : 6 Universal Battery UB12750's

In theory you should be clipping the signal if you go past the point that is recommended.

I don't believe in this system so thats all I have to say on this topic.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

it is a debatable subject..... the problem is that Different amps clip at different points... some start clipping before they reach rated power and some clip way after they have exceeded rated power, and some wont even do rated power...

Personally, since i too do not own an ossiliscope... i use the DMM and rms chart to give me an idea of where the gain should be, then i listen to the woofer by ear... thats about the best way to do it with out an O-scope... so basically you have no clue if its clipping... you just have to hope its close to what it should be

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Thanks guys I guess I'll just keep turning it up a bit at a time and keep my eyes on the woofers. Mechanically as of now the only time they look like they are really moving is full tilt on a really low note. Otherwise they aren't moving too much. And the dust caps are never hot, only warm after playing for a while same goes for the amps. I also don't smell anything. So until one of those symptoms occurs I can assume I am as close to safe as I can be without an O-scope correct?

1994 Lincoln Town Car

I would think so. Like you said, the only real way to know is to use an O-Scope.

Otherwise, just be careful with it and turn it up bit by bit like you said.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived