I noticed a check engine light was on so I took it to my friends garage and we took a Diagnostics tool to it. Pretty much I found out that one of the valves on the EVAP system is bad. We were scrummaging around underneath and he pulls out this handful of leaves and dirt and some rocks even out of one of the containers. It turns out that the container is just a charcoal container and it has pretty much gone to where ever charcoal container heaven is. He also figured that that valve is the bad valve and he recommended I get it fixed. I have pretty good friends that work at the VW dealership so I took it there. He said with his employee discount they cost him around 900$ not including labor. I was like screw that I will go look online / someplace cheaper. I took it to my other mechanic friend who works at a car dealership and he said he could probably get one for about 450$ but it would take around a day to put in the new valve and about 20 minutes for the container. He also said that these things are not 100% when it comes to codes. It could be something very serious or could be something very small and ignorable. He stated that this is no big problem and its probably not worth the money and that the only way to really fix this is to replace the system, piece by piece to check to see if the error code goes away because it may not be that container at all (or may be some other problems too).

My feelings are that I don't know enough if its a serious problem or not. What do you guys think? I am kind of tight on money so I don't know if I should bother. This car means a lot to me and so far its in great condition. It has like 83k miles on it and no other check engine lights are on. I would like to pretty much run this car into the ground and the only way to do that is to jump on top of whatever "problem" surfaces first and fix it asap.

Edited by Hell-Razor

Check out RockAuto for that part.

http://rockauto.com

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350