Sundown Audio

Amp Problem..

evermaxx

Okay well this isnt for my setup, but a friend is on a budget build and well he has 2 Kicker Comps - and a 1600watt BOSS Amp.. The thing is its behind his seat on his Grand Cherroke between the box and the back seat.. And it gets pretty damn hot.. We were sitting there listen to it since he just hooked it up withen about 10mins the protection light comes on, not sure because it was drawing up much power to the speakers, or if it got to hot. Thing I am asking is ways to get it from heating up so hot?

and for the lazy people who dont like to read :D

Cliffs:

Boss 1600watt amp

Really hot after 10/15mins of use

Mounted on the ground between back seat and sub box.

How can it be cooler?

Edited by evermaxx

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch

Man....it makes a nice work bench ;)

What coils are the subs? Specs on the amp? it's probably because its on the cheaper side of amps. make sure his grounds are all good, and the amp isnt seeing a lower impedance that it should be

Team DC Audio : Team Shok : Team NWSPL Co-Founder

Head: Pioneer AVH-P5200DVD

Front Stage: Morel Tempo 6.5's/ CDT 6.5's

Subs: (4) 15'' DC XL's, 15 cubes @ 38hz

Sub Amps: (2) Shok 5k's

Speaker Amp: Shok 100.4

Wiring: Shok Industries 1/0

Electrical: White Mechman 270/Adjustable Voltage/3 Shuriken BT120's/3 XS XP3000's

FPiYT.jpg?9395

What coils are the subs? Specs on the amp? it's probably because its on the cheaper side of amps. make sure his grounds are all good, and the amp isnt seeing a lower impedance that it should be

2 DVC 4ohm

1600.2 (They are bridged at one tho)

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

2 DVC 4ohm

1600.2 (They are bridged at one tho)

Wire the subs to 4 ohms. This will take care of the thermal problem. You will lose a couple of db's. Won't notice. People who say they run at 1 ohm or 1/2 ohm or 1/4 ohm, daily, are full of shit. Maybe for a few minutes. Some amps will do this but they will burn your hands (like my old school 2100 hcca and 225 hcca would do), and cheap amps will burn up if you continue to do it. My power series rockfords will shut off after 10 minutes or so at .9 ohms. I usually listen to my music the whole time im in the car and that might be a little more than 10 minutes. I run my subs at 1.8 ohms. One sub on one amp.

im not trying to be a dick but if ur gonna buy cheap shit then ur gonna have those problems but just spend more money and buy a good quality amp

Introduce a no fat chicks in the whip rule.

Im gonna have tech force make up a sign that says that and put it on my car lol

Okay.. well how would you wire those then?

[/quote

On subs positive to negative negative to positive and then to the pos to pos and neg to neg then into amp. I think that will double then half. Use a DMM. Your subs probably aren't at 4 ohms. Maybe more maybe less. Mine go 3.8 per coil, to 1.8 series to .9 paralel(sp) It doesn't take much of a ohm resistance to make a difference. The lower the ohms the closer you are getting to a dead short. Check each coil. Run a wire to the other coil from the (+) to (+) and negative to negative. Then take the wire to the (+) on the first coil to the negative on the second coil, and the negative to positive. See what that reads. Amps will run all day at 1.3 up. That's why JL puts there subs there. When you see the numbers on the DMM set for ohm's you will know what I'm talking about. The electricity doesn't care how you wire the coils they will get the same load. It's summed on the entire load.

im not trying to be a dick but if ur gonna buy cheap shit then ur gonna have those problems but just spend more money and buy a good quality amp

Yeah I hear ya man this is just temp shit belive me.. I have planned 2 18" RE Audio or 2 18" DC Audio LVL 4

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Yeah I hear ya man this is just temp shit belive me.. I have planned 2 18" RE Audio or 2 18" DC Audio LVL 4

good but to solve ur problem for now put a pc fan ontop of it or have some sorta fan on it so it will cool down

Introduce a no fat chicks in the whip rule.

Im gonna have tech force make up a sign that says that and put it on my car lol