DC Sound Lab

Need help with new box

Hey guys...

I am just trying to get more "bang" from my dc level 5 15". Right now I am not happy from its output, but I do like the lows that I get but believe the woofer could do better. My current box is 3.5cuFt (too small, I know) tuned to about 31.5hz. It does nice on a few songs but doesnt really bang like I have seen others (on youtube) do.

I re measured my trunk this morning and figured (with a little bit of pushing) the MAX I could get is 39W, 18.75H (could probably squeeze it to 19), and would like to keep the depth to as minimal as possible. As of right now my box is 22D and I hardly have enough room for the extra battery back there. I would like to try and tune around 28hz for daily pounding (I believe I will get more bang if I tune lower and have a little better output, forgive me if I am wrong though). And 48hz for competitions (no specific reason, I just figure tuning up 20hz would be easier than 15 or 16...etc). This will be going in the trunk of a 2003 VW Passat Sedan and will be powered by a SAZ-3500D. I would like to try and get this box rebuilt for the competition in Madison,WI on the 27th. I think I would like to aim for roughly 4 to 4.25cuFt. Again I need to keep the depth under what it is currently in order to keep the battery back there.

Also I would prefer using max height and width because I want to seal off the trunk. The woofer and the port I would also like to be firing forward. If you need more info just let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by Hell-Razor

Alright,

I think I got a new design coming along decently. I think a DC Level 5 15 is about .21 displacement so thats what I about based this design off of. I will be building this box out of 3/4 MDF,

39" W, 19" H, 15" D. This will give the box 5cuFt of airspace without displacement. The woofer and port will be firing forward

COMPETITION:

The port will be 5" W (17.5 inches tall) and 16.5" D tuned to 46hz with a total volume of 4.23 cuFt. Will give me a square port area of 87.5

DAILY POUNDING:

The port will be 1.5 "W (17.5 inches tall) and 16.5" D tuned to 26hz with a total volume of 4.8 cuFt. Will give me a square port area of 26.25. i THINK this has to be between 60 and 120 though =/

What do you guys think? The only thing I am not sure about is the competition box. It seems that with a port that big it will reduce the cuFt of the box to about 4 not including the displacement from the woofer...

EDIT: I just realized the daily pounding port may do two things 1) I dont have enough port room 2) I may get port noise

Edited by Hell-Razor