TEAM SKAR AUDIO (12) - vvx12"s astro van

12 12"s in an Astro??? It will never fit! :D j/k!

Looks fun!

A suggestion: Double layer the front baffle where the subs are. It won't take too much more wood and it will give you lots more strength on that baffle. Then take the square cutouts and quarter them. Use those quarter pieces to strengthen your box more (put them EVERYWHERE in your box connecting all the sides together).

Resin alone won't give much strength. You will need fiberglass mat as well and it will get pricey quick with that size box. A really thin layer of resin (or good oil base paint) will seal it up and slick it out a bit.

So, going to be sealed all around? Or will there be portage? :popcorn:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

ya already ahead of you on using the cut outs as gussets. just havent gotten to that point yet. im gonna paint the whole thing black for now until i get some kind of carpet or material to cover the front and filler panels with. im gonna use that stone paint, black/dark brown, in the tunnel around the subs. and yes it will be ported through the tunnel. 3 - 8"round x 6" long ports will be in the back part of the tunnel. i was gonna trow some LED's in there some where just not sure where.

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

Sweet. :D Just keep on keeping on with making the install Clean. Who cares for now if your equipment is cheaper stuff. If you do your install Right and keep it Clean, no one can say anything there. Plus, you have a solid foundation for equipment upgrades later.

Meh- to each their own. Yes, you can get stupid loud with one or 2 really big and big $$$ subs- but sometimes you just want lots of cone area, just for the hell of it. Astros have the room for it, so why not???

If everyone had the same designs, equipment and builds- audio would get boring quick. Yours will be different, that is for sure.

I like the flekstone idea. I did that once on one of my boxes. If it is done right, it looks good.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

If it really comes down to the box flexing too much, you can always line the outside with 2x4s with the screws coming from the inside of the box out. It may not look as clean, but does work quite a bit.

As far as particle board.. bleh.... I used to use it a lot. Gotta go with what you got and/or can afford. BTW, I priced MDF today at Home Depot, it's gone up $10 here. It was $29.95 and it now $39.95. Birch is at $43.95

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you have installed in an astro, it's gonna be loud. Especially if you do like Colin and you are doing, with 12 12s. Wish I could see my van running 12 12s. Only problem would be the 3 xxx4000d amps I'd have to buy also.

I need to go back and re-read Colins build.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

so many critics on the internet...

good luck man. im expecting this to be pretty tight

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

If it really comes down to the box flexing too much, you can always line the outside with 2x4s with the screws coming from the inside of the box out. It may not look as clean, but does work quite a bit.

As far as particle board.. bleh.... I used to use it a lot. Gotta go with what you got and/or can afford. BTW, I priced MDF today at Home Depot, it's gone up $10 here. It was $29.95 and it now $39.95. Birch is at $43.95

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you have installed in an astro, it's gonna be loud. Especially if you do like Colin and you are doing, with 12 12s. Wish I could see my van running 12 12s. Only problem would be the 3 xxx4000d amps I'd have to buy also.

I need to go back and re-read Colins build.

:drinks:

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

Archived