I Been wanting to smoke my tail lights for awhile now but don't know how to.can somebody explain to me how to do this. Can I use spray paint?or some kind of tint?thanx

1999 gmc jimmy 4 door

mtx thunder 1501d

alpine cda-102

hifonics olympus 12(temporary)

2 sundown sa 15s

VHT nightshades or Rustoluem tail light tint

Read the instructions and it should come out looking good.

I Been wanting to smoke my tail lights for awhile now but don't know how to.can somebody explain to me how to do this. Can I use spray paint?or some kind of tint?thanx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120580837546&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=90c746881250a0b58ac15491ffa7e2fa&rvr_id=&ua=WVS%3F&itemid=120580837546

about 16~18$$ at o'reilys iirc, you just pull the lights out and spray untill you like. You might want some practice if you've never painted before though.

Start out boxy, shape as you move along.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

You use a special tint spray. One type is calle Nite Shades and it's made by VHT. I've seen it at Advance Auto Parts stores. It works well but tends to leave a dull finish. This is what I used.

Another which I have heard is better is Rust-Oleum lens tint. I have seen this at Auto Zone. I've heard it sprays easier and dries glossy.

Both cost about $10-13 depending on tax and whatnot.

Basically you prep like you're painting, then spray LIGHT coats to taste. Keep in mind these will affect your light output, so don't go too dark (don't ask how I know this one!)

I like to cover the tint up with lots of clear coat after it dries. I did mine a few weeks later because of money, but it made a huge difference. I used like 4 coats of clear on my tails and they look great!

EDIT: what is it with me and getting ninja'd today! Two people again lol

Too many projects, too little time...

You use a special tint spray. One type is calle Nite Shades and it's made by VHT. I've seen it at Advance Auto Parts stores. It works well but tends to leave a dull finish. This is what I used.

Another which I have heard is better is Rust-Oleum lens tint. I have seen this at Auto Zone. I've heard it sprays easier and dries glossy.

Both cost about $10-13 depending on tax and whatnot.

Basically you prep like you're painting, then spray LIGHT coats to taste. Keep in mind these will affect your light output, so don't go too dark (don't ask how I know this one!)

I like to cover the tint up with lots of clear coat after it dries. I did mine a few weeks later because of money, but it made a huge difference. I used like 4 coats of clear on my tails and they look great!

EDIT: what is it with me and getting ninja'd today! Two people again lol

LMAO!

x2 on the light output, take your time and see how you like every layer after it drys.

this is 4 layers i think at night time

IMG_0179.jpg

and at day

IMG_0103.jpg

Dc Audio

Team Fur

x2 on the light output, take your time and see how you like every layer after it drys.

this is 4 layers i think at night time

IMG_0179.jpg

and at day

IMG_0103.jpg

Wow, when I did four layers it was much darker. Maybe 'cause it was colder or something.

I did notice that when I added the clearcoat (I just used the duplicolor touch up clear) that from a distance at least the lights seem darker when they aren't on, but brighter almost when they are.

The real professional way is to mix black paint with clear coat. Comes out glossy everytime and you can see straight through it, but if you dont have access to a paint gun and compressor the Rust-Oleum lens tint is the way to go. Dries way glossier than VHT.

2 fully loaded 18" fi BTL

1 Sundown SAZ-3500

2003 Yukon build

25kj8fd.jpg

FI.png

iraggi_forum_logo.png

Wow, when I did four layers it was much darker. Maybe 'cause it was colder or something.

I did notice that when I added the clearcoat (I just used the duplicolor touch up clear) that from a distance at least the lights seem darker when they aren't on, but brighter almost when they are.

Maybe it was only 3, I honeslty dont remember. and I didn't wait too long for the layers to dry up so that prolly made a difference. Does the clearcoat make it look glossier at all? I feel like they're starting to look dull or something.

Dc Audio

Team Fur

Maybe it was only 3, I honeslty dont remember. and I didn't wait too long for the layers to dry up so that prolly made a difference. Does the clearcoat make it look glossier at all? I feel like they're starting to look dull or something.

Oh yeah it does, at least it did on mine. The more you do the glossier it gets. My actual taillights look almost like they're wet, but my center lamp bar is still a little dull because I ran out of clear about two coats in.

EDIT: my photos didn't turn out; they will have to wait until morning.

Archived