Sonic Electronix

10's with more port area or 12's with less port area

Ok I am looking for a setup in more ford F150 that will (hopefully) satisfy me for a a couple years. Instead of making of yearly upgrades. I'm looking at Rockford Fosgate T2 subwoofers. Great SPL and a comfortable amount of SQ. Now I want to really MOVE some AIR, and I need some help with my decision of TWO 10inch or 12 inch subwoofers. Now I have a set amount of space to work with for my enclosure which is about 3.8cbft. Now if I go with the 12's I will end up with less port area because of the displacement of the port lowering my net volume. Or I can go with more Port area due to the fact of needing less Airspace AND i can tune it lower with the 10inch subwoofers.

Now which setup would you go with for moving the MOST AIR? Lower tuning (20-28hz) and more port area 10 inch subwoofers? Or Higher tuning (34-38hz) and less port area 12 inch subwoofers?

Specs for both subwoofers

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2004/5_Subwoofers/1230_50082B_RF_PowerDVC_MAN.pdf

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tuning is all wrong, the only time you tune that low (20-28hz) is if you are doing a home theater sub or you are doing a crazy wall or experimenting. Never do it for 2 10"s or 2 12"s in a car.

Get the 2 10"s, use the whole 3 cubes and tune to 32-35hz. You could even do the 3.8 cubes and use 3 10"s. But 3.8 cubes is a bit small IMHO to put 2 12"s in (considering decent port size, box thickness and bracing etc.)

I hope you aren't expecting hairtricks? You have to use amazing equipment and awesome boxes to move lots of air with 2 12"s, even then it's hard.

I'm sorry but it"s the truth...

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Tuning is all wrong, the only time you tune that low (20-28hz) is if you are doing a home theater sub or you are doing a crazy wall or experimenting. Never do it for 2 10"s or 2 12"s in a car.

Get the 2 10"s, use the whole 3 cubes and tune to 32-35hz. You could even do the 3.8 cubes and use 3 10"s. But 3.8 cubes is a bit small IMHO to put 2 12"s in (considering decent port size, box thickness and bracing etc.)

I hope you aren't expecting hairtricks? You have to use amazing equipment and awesome boxes to move lots of air with 2 12"s, even then it's hard.

I'm sorry but it"s the truth...

Damnit. Sick of false info around here. Never say never in car audio. Shit can be done. Hair trick with 2 12s in an f150 isn't that out of the question.

And tuning is all personal preference, and dependent on the vehicle. With as peaky as my car is, tuned to 35 I couldn't pick up any low lows at all. Just threw a new box. In there tuned to 28...and I couldn't be happier. it doesn't lack much in the higher range at all.

<u>99 Jimmy SLT 4WD</u>

Systemless.

<u>99 Grand Prix GTP</u>

DC XL 12 on 1.5k tuned lowwwwww.

Damnit. Sick of false info around here. Never say never in car audio. Shit can be done. Hair trick with 2 12s in an f150 isn't that out of the question.

And tuning is all personal preference, and dependent on the vehicle. With as peaky as my car is, tuned to 35 I couldn't pick up any low lows at all. Just threw a new box. In there tuned to 28...and I couldn't be happier. it doesn't lack much in the higher range at all.

Jeez thanks :)

I'm not saying never, but the guy clearly doesn't have too much experience (no offense OP) so I suggest what would be good for him. If you read my post over, you will see I say that you can do it, but I don't suggest it for this application. I'm sure the majority of the time you try it you wouldn't get too much from a box with 2 10"s tuned to 20hz.

Yes it is personal preference, he can tune to 20hz if he wants, but I'm sure he will like a 32hz tuned box better. Yes, boxes do do strange things, mine is tuned to 38hz and it plays super low yet isn't too great on higher notes.

And also, I never said it was out of the question, I said unless he is running some pretty awesome gear, I don't think he will be able to do it, especially with 2 12"s in <3.8 cubes, which is why I said use the 10"s. A smaller woofer in a right sized box will be better that a bigger one in a too small box. Anyway, you need close to 150db to hairtrick, unless it's a burp car I don't see it getting that high, could reach 140s easy if done right though.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

You're right, I dont have much experience in Building subwoofer enclosures... I'm in my fourth year at University Of Florida (not rich justsaved up enough money to get REAL subs) in Electrical engineering because to be honest with you im more into the electrical compoenents of Amplifiers and Subwoofer. I've never been really into building subwoofer boxes because i've always had some buddies im good friends with at the local car shop in my hometown build them with fiber glass for under my trucks seat. But dont get me wrong, I KNOW car audio. It's just I LIKE others opinions before I dive into things because you may mention a detail i didnt take into consideration. I dont really want to get into that conversation though I just want some opinions of people who have the time and money to experiment with subwoofer enclosures more than I do.

Alright so Bassl0va you're ultimately agreeing with my suggestion of the smaller 10 inch subwoofers for the bigger box and more port area?

Yeah Tristan I was thinking that As well, There should be a better subwoofer out there for the Price, or one JUST as good for cheaper. What do you think? I'm looking at the Digital Designs 3500 & 9500, Ascendant Audio Havocs, TC sounds...

You're right, I dont have much experience in Building subwoofer enclosures... I'm in my fourth year at University Of Florida (not rich justsaved up enough money to get REAL subs) in Electrical engineering because to be honest with you im more into the electrical compoenents of Amplifiers and Subwoofer. I've never been really into building subwoofer boxes because i've always had some buddies im good friends with at the local car shop in my hometown build them with fiber glass for under my trucks seat. But dont get me wrong, I KNOW car audio. It's just I LIKE others opinions before I dive into things because you may mention a detail i didnt take into consideration. I dont really want to get into that conversation though I just want some opinions of people who have the time and money to experiment with subwoofer enclosures more than I do.

Alright so Bassl0va you're ultimately agreeing with my suggestion of the smaller 10 inch subwoofers for the bigger box and more port area?

Yeah Tristan I was thinking that As well, There should be a better subwoofer out there for the Price, or one JUST as good for cheaper. What do you think? I'm looking at the Digital Designs 3500 & 9500, Ascendant Audio Havocs, TC sounds...

Yep, I say 2 10"s in a big box will be better. And you can tune to 28hz if you want, but I wouldn't go any lower than that maybe try 32hz though, just my opinion though.

I reckon you will have the most chance of moving lots of air with 9510s and like 3kws.

Yep, I say 2 10"s in a big box will be better. And you can tune to 28hz if you want, but I wouldn't go any lower than that maybe try 32hz though, just my opinion though.

I reckon you will have the most chance of moving lots of air with 9510s and like 3kws.

But its hard to find a dealer of the DD 9510s close by so I dont know their pricing. are they up there with the T2's? The T210D4's are about 259$

But its hard to find a dealer of the DD 9510s close by so I dont know their pricing. are they up there with the T2's? The T210D4's are about 259$

They are going to cost you many of pennies more than the Fosgtae t2's. Honestly, I would look into a couple level 4xl 10"s, and run them off of 3k. Tune that bish to 32hz and call it a day. The power handling of the T2's compared to price, there are better options out there... Also with the t2's, you won't be moving too much air without an amazing box.

*Rough estimate of DD 9510's, you are probably looking around $800.00 a piece.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

They are going to cost you many of pennies more than the Fosgtae t2's. Honestly, I would look into a couple level 4xl 10"s, and run them off of 3k. Tune that bish to 32hz and call it a day. The power handling of the T2's compared to price, there are better options out there... Also with the t2's, you won't be moving too much air without an amazing box.

*Rough estimate of DD 9510's, you are probably looking around $800.00 a piece.

Yeah im startin to look at the cost of these Top Notch subs and I'm comin to the conclusion that I can get 4 100$ 12's and sound just as good or Even better in a Temporary ported box until I can get the money for sometype of Fiberglass enclosure, I mean because now its just becoming economically stupid pursuing these subwoofers.

Archived