Electrical problem PLEASE HELP!!! anyone

Starting with the 2005 model year, light duty full size pickups and utilities, are equipped with a new Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. This system turns off the alternator when it is not required in order to improve fuel economy. The alternator will turn back on when additional voltage is required. This will cause the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts as opposed to non-regulated systems which usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts. voltage in these system ranges from 12.6-13.1 volts when the system is in "Fuel Economy Mode." As soon as the PCM detects that the system needs additional power generation, it exist this mode and moves into "Charge Mode" at normal charging rates.

This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation but can it be deactivate ???

2-18" Fi Btls

2-RF T2500-1bd

box 14cu.ft after displacement tuned @ 32hz.

Socal Box Designer/builder

Keep your headlights on, and it will make the voltage stay between 13.9-14.5. You could also drive with the Tow/Haul ON, but I'm not sure if that would kill your MPG. T/H will keep it between 13.9-15.5 Those are the only two bypasses I know of. The RVC system gets info from 5 (I think) different systems in the truck, so it can adjust for any power demands instantly (AC on, lights, etc) and keep voltage above 12.6. It also will keep voltage up if the primary battery is lower than 80% charged. There isn't a way to set it up for a secondary battery though, and I'm not sure where the temp sensor for the battery is, so I'm not sure if an aftermarket battery would read the same. It measures the charge by the temp of the battery.

I may be wrong, but I don't think an external reg would work with this system. Unless you could figure out how to make the signals from the whole car show kind of a "false need" for the extra power...but now that I've actually typed that out, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to figure out. On the other hand, they started this crap in '05, by now I'm SURE one of the alt companies out here would have figured it out by now, so idk. Also, I haven't heard anybody having particular trouble when installing a system, either, so it may just stay above 14v because of the demand. I have no idea lol.

Guest DC Power Kyle

The alternators we provide plug into the RVC system and have no issues whatsoever. However, we are limited to keeping the voltage to 14.4 volts instead of 14.8+. The alternator won't turn off and will constantly stay on and not throw any codes.

The alternators we provide plug into the RVC system and have no issues whatsoever. However, we are limited to keeping the voltage to 14.4 volts instead of 14.8+. The alternator won't turn off and will constantly stay on and not throw any codes.

is there something special in this alts that make it stay on. my friend just install an aftermarket alt in his 08 tahoe and it still acting up.

2-18" Fi Btls

2-RF T2500-1bd

Keep your headlights on, and it will make the voltage stay between 13.9-14.5. You could also drive with the Tow/Haul ON, but I'm not sure if that would kill your MPG. T/H will keep it between 13.9-15.5 Those are the only two bypasses I know of. The RVC system gets info from 5 (I think) different systems in the truck, so it can adjust for any power demands instantly (AC on, lights, etc) and keep voltage above 12.6. It also will keep voltage up if the primary battery is lower than 80% charged. There isn't a way to set it up for a secondary battery though, and I'm not sure where the temp sensor for the battery is, so I'm not sure if an aftermarket battery would read the same. It measures the charge by the temp of the battery.

i will try this tomorrow, i hope. If i have the time to drive my truck around.

2-18" Fi Btls

2-RF T2500-1bd

Archived