A dual voltage system to think about..

Okay.. here goes. I have a tractor which runs a 6v charging system. I am looking to run a few 12v appliances on the tractor. Lights, and other things of the sort.

My question is.. it already has a 6v generator with a positive ground. Would I be able to add a 12v alt with negative ground, without any adverse effects. It's kinda like running a 12v starting/16v accessory set up in your car, but reversed grounds.. I know I could convert the tractor to 12v, but this is a logical question, as to if it could be done.. and how?

Im thinking there would be no adverse effects with a neg ground (12v) and a pos ground (6v) as long as the part has its respective power wire to the respective battery. Lemme know what you think...

Oh, one more thing.. don't be a douche and say convert it to 12v because (you want to up your post count) because, I already mentioned that possibility.

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

I am pretty sure there wouldnt be any bad effects, my uncle did something simular to his so he could run fog lights or something of that nature.

Thats my plan. I want to be able to run headlights and rear lights, but the tractor runs 6v. I can't run my 12v lights off 6v lol. I don't see why it would be, and if there would be such a problem, would one be able to go about switching the 6v from pos ground to neg ground with out any adverse effects..

Just something for the electrical wizzes to think about. Hopefully Snafu could jump in and give his electrical advice. :drink40:

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

Archived