Second Skin Audio

My Box For 2 18" DC XL's

Hey whats up guys. I don't really post much but I'm in the process of building a box for my new 18" DC XL's that I'm supposed to be getting hopefully this Saturday. It's mostly done but I'm not finished painting it but before I finish I wanna make sure its real good so I thought I'd put up a few pictures and hopefully get some more ideas on what else I should do if I need to do anything more. I will probably need to brace it some more but it seems pretty solid but I don't know as this is my first big system I'm gonna have. By the way that space in front of the box that goes up and over is supposed to go over a row of batteries that I will be getting. Don't make fun of my box lol

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

And its gonna go in this beast lol

IMG_0044.jpg

2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Well lemme know what you guys think and what I should do to it thanks

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Deck: Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT

Mids: 4 Selenium 6W4P's

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

Highs Amp: MB Quart Onyx 4.125

Bass: 2 18" DC Audio XL's <-- Soon to be 8 Sundown SA-12's

Box: 13.37 Cu Ft @ 35 Hz with 3 8" sonotubes

Bass amps: Crescendo BC3500 @ .5 ohms (2nd one coming soon)

325a Singer Alt! 375a at 16+ volts!

2 XS Power D1400's

www.youtube.com/user/phukudmss

How would I brace the port? I was thinking about adding another 2x4 going across but I dunno how I would get a full piece in there with the box pretty much constructed. Any ideas on that?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

2 XS Power D1400's

How would I brace the port? I was thinking about adding another 2x4 going across but I dunno how I would get a full piece in there with the box pretty much constructed. Any ideas on that?

Since the port is already built, you could drill a couple holes in each wall and do a couple all thread bars. And for the cross bracing: you could cut the 2x4s to fit across, then cut them in half, well a lil longer so that they will sit flush with the 2x4 that is already in. Then you could glue/screw each one on the opposite side of the 2x4 that is already in there.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

Hmm ok I'll look into that thanks.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

Do some glassin'...and won't that single baffle flex bro? I havent seen many people do 18s with 1 baffle

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

Definetly more bracing box looks nice though is the front baffle 1 layer of 3/4 or 1 inch, or can I just not see its more than 1 layer if its only 1 layer you might have some serious probs even at 1 inch. Im starting my 2 12 xl box and Im using double baffle on it just saying better to do it now then have it break and have to do it all over again.What kinda power you using?

Edited by MDWSTBoom

Alpine 9886

Rockford mids and highs

MBQUART 4.125

2 xfl 15's

2 TRX2000.1's

Optima up front,Knetic 2400 in back

Do some glassin'...and won't that single baffle flex bro? I havent seen many people do 18s with 1 baffle

I saw that too. I would say add a layer, but it's already painted.

You could always run another 2x4 across the bottom of the middle of it to add a lil rigidity.

Yeah I was thinking about that but I was trying to keep the box from going over my back seats. I was thinking about glassing the corners too but I've never glassed before

Definetly more bracing box looks nice though is the front baffle 1 layer of 3/4 or 1 inch, or can I just not see its more than 1 layer if its only 1 layer you might have some serious probs even at 1 inch. Im starting my 2 12 xl box and Im using double baffle on it just saying better to do it now then have it break and have to do it all over again.What kinda power you using?

Yeah I'm for sure gonna add more bracing. The whole box is 3/4". I kinda feel like I should have done a double baffle but I guess its too late I just need to brace the interior better. For now I'm gonna run my Sundown SAZ-2000D at .5 ohms until I can afford something better. I also have an XS 3100D coming my way too but I will get more once I'm ready.

I saw that too. I would say add a layer, but it's already painted.

You could always run another 2x4 across the bottom of the middle of it to add a lil rigidity.

Yeah I think I should have done another layer but I literally used up all the wood I had at the time. It seems extremely solid right now I mean I sat on top of it and tried to get the wood to flex but it didn't seem to move at all. BUT that was just me I'm not 2 18's lol

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's