Okay you guys after my oil change the other day when i started my truck i heard a abnormal noise. Sounded like a ticking noise coming from the engine. After a couple days its still persistent BUT only REALLY noticeable on cold starts. After it has ran a while you can hear it but not as good. My buddy that loaned me his garage said that more then likely it was from using a lighter weight of oil then what was in there. 10w40 was in there (i believe don't quote me) and i put 5w30 in.

So my question is should i go ahead and drain the oil and put a thicker oil back in there...

Like i said ticking started accruing AFTER oil change.

I do know that i have a blow-by according to my mech. Which he said that some Lucas oil stabilizer should help with that.

I'll take a stab at it. It could be that everything has made a wear pattern consistent to the film of oil that it was used to and now it's a thinner film of oil which would not lubricate as well causing it to make a ticking/knocking noise? I would try putting the thicker oil back in and see if it cures it.

Edited by DDlincolnon22's

Team Digital Devastation

jake3jpeg.jpg

My on-going 9518 build

I'll take a stab at it. It could be that everything has made a wear pattern consistent to the film of oil that it was used to and now it's a thinner film of oil which would not lubricate as well causing it to make a ticking/knocking noise?

Thats pretty much what i was thinking. Guys at autozone said pretty much the same thing. Said to drain the oil and put in thicker oil.

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying that is exactly what's wrong with it. How many miles are on the engine? What is the engine size?

Just rolled to 188xxx today, and its a 4.0 straight 6.

Edited by jeyrapboy

btw take the valve cover off and clean it out then change the valve cover gasket and the pcv valve...

the jeep i had had blow by (oil on the air filter) and doing that fixed it for a short while, till the next oil change....if that doesnt work lucas is your best bet... If you want you could also try seafoam in the oil, run it for 10 mins or whatever it says to run it on the can then change the oil...ive done both and both seem to work the same....Seafoam does let off a lot of smoke for a bit but its not unusual... Jeep had 213k and my 4.3 blazer has 215k atm and still running strong and i do the seafoam every oil change...

Edited by Red4DrPos

btw take the valve cover off and clean it out then change the valve cover gasket and the pcv valve...

the jeep i had had blow by (oil on the air filter) and doing that fixed it for a short while, till the next oil change....if that doesnt work lucas is your best bet... If you want you could also try seafoam in the oil, run it for 10 mins or whatever it says to run it on the can then change the oil...ive done both and both seem to work the same....Seafoam does let off a lot of smoke for a bit but its not unusual...

Wow dude you like read my mind!

Just thought about seafoam

Mine also has oil in the air filter. I was thinking about pulling off the valve cover, my buddy just replaced his gasket on his 79 nova and i was thinking "well why not do it now."

Thanks for the tips!

you should only run 10w30 in your jeep in the summer and you can switch to 5w30 for the winter time. you can run 10w30 in it in the winter also. your jeep i believe above 32F requires 10w30 but i cant remember the exact temp lol. i change oil all day long i only put 10w30 in the jeeps like yours. and for the lucas maybe half a quart if you wann try it out imo its not needed but you could try it. just switch back to 10w30 and run that

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

you should only run 10w30 in your jeep in the summer and you can switch to 5w30 for the winter time. you can run 10w30 in it in the winter also. your jeep i believe above 32F requires 10w30 but i cant remember the exact temp lol. i change oil all day long i only put 10w30 in the jeeps like yours. and for the lucas maybe half a quart if you wann try it out imo its not needed but you could try it. just switch back to 10w30 and run that

Yea man that is what im going to do. I have to run to auto-zone sometime to pick up another oil pressure psi sending unit.